'MTP Para Smock'

Enfield1940

It's fair to say that the DPM para smock was pretty much obsolete as a field garment once CS95 came in........

Probably still okay though, for wear around barracks........and an MTP version would compliment the new range of army clothing.......will an official para smock appear...?

• 5 months later...
Quite how people are getting new ones to sell..?

Yes quite agree! I recall taking a punt on an MTP smock on eBay some time ago (still not quite sure why - may well have been after a few glasses of wine ;-) and when it turned up it was the PCS version! I recall it had literally been a few weeks since this version had been released to a few front line units....

Who/how they were being obtained I have no idea....and frankly don't want to know.

The military police have and or now looking at sellers on ebay and other forums for mtp pcs and the s95 cut as its still protected by crown copy rights . The gear that's for sale could be from people leaving the forces or have just done a deployment and told to keep the gear after coming back if they are reservists. I got to keep all my gear after coming back from op telic but it was in a bad way it ended up in the bin. But some could be nicked from the stores. Or from people serving. I got all mine from a friend that had done his 22 but that's all im saying. :red:

I'm not even going to comment on MTP, other than to say that within the last few years following introduction there already appear to have been several different versions of garments on issue..........I'm avoiding grief and sticking with DPM for the book !!! :-D

Absolutely agree that the para smock became defunct as a field garment as early as CS 95 came in........add to this all the modern kit since, body armour, etc, and it would be surprising if the MoD actually took the time (and public expense)to manufacture an obsolete garment in the new pattern cammo............I am well aware of the MTP para smocks now appearing for sale on Ebay, but am unaware of any official MoD contracts for such........many manufacturers nowadays will make anything to meet a demand, even official MoD contractors (some of whom are non-UK located nowadays)........

Perhaps someone with current (and far more accurate) knowledge than me can confirm if (and why) the old para smock is now appearing in MTP....??........just curious !! :angel:

The military police have and or now looking at sellers on ebay and other forums for mtp pcs and the s95 cut as its still protected by crown copy rights . The gear that's for sale could be from people leaving the forces or have just done a deployment and told to keep the gear after coming back if they are reservists. I got to keep all my gear after coming back from op telic but it was in a bad way it ended up in the bin. But some could be nicked from the stores. Or from people serving. I got all mine from a friend that had done his 22 but that's all im saying. :red:

Hmm - interesting! All I can say is type MTP into an eBay search and you will quickly come to the conclusion that the military police are going to be very, very busy!

Yep i agree with you on that. Being an airsofter in the past and in to military land rovers i see the stuff swapping hands all the time on facebook groups . But orders or orders and they have to be seen to be doing there job as a friend told me who's a cpl in the r.m.p's .

It's also worth mentioning that it is the MoD Police (with constabulary powers) that generally investigate such things in the UK at least, rather than RMP etc........although of course, both work in liaison........the former can nick you and take you to the local plod shop (whoever you are), the latter can't if you're a civvy in the UK......

It's a sad fact that too much new or current gear seems available in the internet in some instances before those who need or are entitled to it actually receive it........personally, I stick firmly to historical stuff.......! :-D

Edited by wdbikemad

The question still remains........"why...?".......the garment itself was obsolete as a field garment by '95 and most definitely is nowadays with body armour, web kit, etc.........

Seems odd that the MoD would fork-out public money to manufacture an obsolete garment in MTP that would arguably only see action nowadays in the barrack area......:undecided: