sas in vietnam shirts

griff66

Some Brit WW2 issue jungle kit in OG was made in drill and aertex......UK and Indian-made......there are several patterns and garments.......

By 1951, the British introduced the 1950 pattern aertex bush jacket......awful item all considered.....tightly tailored and with an attached belt that was usually cut-off........could be worn as a shirt (tucked in) or as a jacket with the lower pockets and tails exposed.......

By the 60s, a proper tropical aertex shirt was on issue........still rather tightly tailored, but a darn sight better than the 1950 pattern jacket........the shirt has pleated breast pockets with 3-pointed flaps, epaulettes, and long sleeves (and tails)......on issue right up to the mid-70s when replaced by DPM tropicals.......worn with the green denim/drill cross-over belt OG trousers.........the OG cellular shirt was a popular alternative to the hairy KD or OD flannel combat shirt in European climates right up to the early 80s if you could get away with wearing one.........

All OG kit is nowadays hard to source, especially in larger sizes...........as ever, I have a small stash of human sizes tucked away for a rainy day......

As a footnote, Gurkhas, and officers, had their own patterns of OG jungle kit....some official and some privately or locally procured....all a study in its own right.....

Edited by wdbikemad

It's an interesting point.....

For me, as a collector, I don't give a stuff over size as long as the item I'm acquiring fills a gap or has a place in the collection..........however, some collectors do want stuff in "human" sizes for display on live bodies and/or mannequins, hence a need to fit.....

Nowadays, we also have the growing living history/re-enactment movement covering all periods including modern, so again, a need to obtain things to fit.........and, as mentioned, we're mostly all a tad larger today......:(

But for the above reasons, if you ever decide to sell-on your larger size acquisitions, then the price achieved will invariably be higher....in many cases considerably so (eg - Size 8 & 9 60 pattern gear)......thus an arguably sound investment....

I guess others though, seek large sizes simply to wear or pose in a particular garment (each to their own...).......I still occasionally throw-on an old combat smock for certain activities, but by and large prefer to avoid anything green or cammo in the wardrobe today....besides, Mrs M doesn't particularly like it....! :-\

Edited by wdbikemad