Fox Tinwork

Here at last is the results of several weeks of CAD drawings for all the tinwork required for my Fox Prototype.

1003.jpg

And whilst I was at it, I did the same for my early production Fox.

1006.jpg

The Laser cutting for all this took 9 sheets (8 x 4) of 1.5mm Zintec with an average usage of nearly 80%.

It took a complete day (2 of us) to fold all this tinwork using 2 CNC presses and about 20 changes of tooling.

We only made 2 slight mistakes..both on the same front wing. The long fold for the 'safe edge' (only on the production wings) slipped off one of the machine guide stops, giving a 2mm unexpected taper to the fold. Probably won't notice this!

The slight 'up-bend' for the shock absorber clearance hump became 90 degrees (instead of 25 degrees) because we forgot to re-start the machine programme. I shall have to relieve the back of the bend with a slitting disc so that it will bend back to the correct angle without casing waves in the lovelly straight tinwork!

All the Prototype tinwork is now being fitted to the vehicle so that any corrections to the general fit, and hole adjustments can be made where necessary. Then all that is needed is a small amount of welding and preliminary painting.

I will keep you posted!

Jon