Austin BYD

rippo

I seem to remember seeing this at the now closed Newcastle Military Vehicle museum and thinking it was didn't look quite quite right.

The obvious things that are wrong are that the wheels should be of the 'artillery' type and the radiator and bonnet should also be of a different pattern. The rear body and cab looks about right but could be a mock up. You won't know whether it's truely a BYD without a closer examination - it should based on the 1936-38 pattern LL (low-loading) taxicab chassis.

Pictures appear in Wheels & Tracks #16 and Bart Vanderveen's Army Vehiles Directory to 1940 (page 187).

I seem to remember seeing this at the now closed Newcastle Military Vehicle museum and thinking it didn't look quite quite right.

The obvious things that are wrong are that the wheels should be of the 'artillery' type and the radiator and bonnet should also be of a different pattern. The rear body and cab looks about right but could be a mock up. You won't know whether it's truely a BYD without a closer examination - it should based on the 1936-38 pattern LL (low-loading) taxicab chassis. My guess is it is make believe.

Pictures appear in Wheels & Tracks #16 and Bart Vanderveen's Army Vehicles Directory to 1940 (page 187).

Hello,

I came a cross this little truck on my travels. From the one picture i have it doesn't look quite right. does anyone have any other pictures or know of any others?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59858[/ATTACH]

This truck used to be in the NE military vehicle museum in the Turbine house Newcastle. If memory severs me right it is a replica produced on a contemporary civilian car chassis, it was a few years ago now so I may have got that wrong

Pete

Hi, this isn´t corect replica for Asutin BYD.

Original lorry was based on Austin taxi and was made only 187 pcs (if I remember it corect) after the BEF lost all vehicles in France.

In the UK is, or was, somewhere great looking replica. It was in museum after what the owner passed away.