DPM?

Jack

As Polecat is away enjoying his self, I'll have to have a pop at this and he can correct me when he gets back.

The first DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material) on issue was the Ist Pattern Denison Smock introduced in 1942. It was principally issued to covert operators in the SOE and SAS, later being adopted by the Commandos.

1st Pattern DPM Denison:

denison42-1st-pattern_large.jpg

Karoshi

Thanks Karoshi and yes your right on that one the British dpm has basically stayed the same for 40 odd years only the shades of colours used have really changed, the only real change was the desert issue which was changed in the first Gulf war from a 4 colour to two and that was because the Iraq army had purchased the same material that the British had prior to that! and so the mod did,nt want our boys looking the same as the enemy,personally the new 95 pattern must be the least wearing of all the uniforms issued as well but i suppose all the budget cuts havent helped :D

• 2 months later...
The first DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material) on issue ... <SNIP>Karoshi

I hate to sound pedantic. Strictly speaking, it's Dispersed Pattern Material. The shapes are round and random. Disruptive pattern is sharp and jagged, seen on ships during WW2.

Dispersed pattern camouflage blends the shape into the background. Disruptive pattern camouflage breaks the shape up.

There are an awful lot of people (I am thinking Chris Ryan) who use the term Disruptive incorrectly (including the first hit of the 26 I got by Googling for "dispersed pattern material". Embarrassingly, it's http://www.arrse.co.uk, of which I am a member. So I have corrected it.

;o)

Not wishing to be pedantic either, Arrse.co.uk defines Dispersed Pattern Material, as being developed in the 1960's. The Ist pattern Denison smock (shown) was in service in 1942, pre dating the Arrse entry. It is therefore by definition NOT Dispersed Pattern Material, either.

It is however a Patterned Material and it is left to the reader to decide if the Denison smock camouflage pattern is Disruptive, Dispersive, Both or Neither.

Not wishing to be pedantic either, Arrse.co.uk defines Dispersed Pattern Material, as being developed in the 1960's. The Ist pattern Denison smock (shown) was in service in 1942, pre dating the Arrse entry. It is therefore by definition NOT Dispersed Pattern Material, either.

It is however a Patterned Material and it is left to the reader to decide if the Denison smock camouflage pattern is Disruptive, Dispersive, Both or Neither.

Fair point. Takes it on the chin. I stand corrected in my surgical boots.

;o)

Alien, I took Jacks question at face value and "interpreted" his enquiry to regard a patterned material as against that of WW2 plain cloth as used in British battle dress or the US OD.

Your point regarding DPM and DPM is a very valid one, and will no doubt be of interest to many. Camouflage is a little discussed subject but I think of great interest.

Perhaps we should get onto S.S.S.S & S ?

Nice to have you with us.

Alien, I took Jacks question at face value and "interpreted" his enquiry to regard a patterned material as against that of WW2 plain cloth as used in British battle dress or the US OD.

Your point regarding DPM and DPM is a very valid one, and will no doubt be of interest to many. Camouflage is a little discussed subject but I think of great interest.

Perhaps we should get onto S.S.S.S & S ?

Nice to have you with us.

Back at you mate. Yes, it occurred to me after I'd replied that you weren't really flaming me, so no umbrage taken (there hadn't been anyway).

As you may by now have gathered, I was in recce, where cam (and radio)was everything.

Got it! I have been sat here typing and with the rest of my brain trying to drag S.S.S.S & S from a remote recess.

Shape

Shine

Shadow

Silhouette

Sound

Or a meringue? (As we say where I come from: say it with a northern accent ;o)

Shape

Shine

Shadow

Silhouette

Sound

Obviously one of those modern operators with Wireless. In my day the 5th "S" was Size. Thats when size mattered!

No, no it may be entirely right that 5 was Size. I did say I was struggling to remember!

Mind Size being fifth proves what they always say, "Size isn't everything."

;o)

Well with a football shirt like that and me living in Pompey we best agree, so its 6 S's then!

PMSL The good news for you is that although I live in Southampton, the shirt is of a club which in theory ought to have been more a of a direct threat rather than local rivals to Pompey this season ... but has failed utterly.

• 1 month later...