Humber Pig Spotted Today .

berna2vm

I do not like the Pigs as I much preferred the truck they were based on. Plus I brushed against an up-armoured pig at a disposal yard years ago and the armoured plate fell off the door. I have always been extremely wary of the way the armour plates were added to the uparmoured pigs and have a concern in my mind that someone will lose a bit of armour on a road with disastrous consequences.

My brother-in-laws uparmoured pig has some of the plates removed for that reason. We went over it with a large hammer and lots of plates had fractured welds. Little plates covering hinges were the favourite with two falling off easily when tapped with a club hammer.

When I removed the excess armour from my Pig. I found that on one side the welding was quite good but on the other side it could be removed without too much difficulty. This suggests that during Op Bracelet a different team worked on each side of the vehicle. It was reported that the up-armouring process was carried out by people other than trained fitters who were keen to protect our boys from the RPGs then being used against their vehicles.

Some 80 people carried out this work which included welders signed on from the labour exchange, clerical staff, a telecomms technician & a medical orderly. Some of the work being done during the 3-day week.

Each vehicle kit comprised 818 components. One can see perhaps several decades on how some of these bits could be at risk of falling off.