TN15 gearbox and J60 engine rebuilds

robin craig

Dear All,

We have project to re engine a Spartan that has a blown engine. We have another to sort out and drop in.

I am asking this question here, not because I dont know who to ask but would like to see the information posted here so that everyone can have the benefit of it being posted here for posterity and usefulness.

my questions are these:-

- what manual is best for info as far as swapping and engine and who has them? IE best technical information as far as alignment and shimming if any.

- what manuals are there for a parts manual for the TN15 gearbox and who has them

- can anyone help me by giving some basic mistakes in swapping out and engine? Is it that complicated, really?

Thanks in advance

R

You will need a long extension bar to get to the engine mount bolt right/rear (vehicle) position. If you use a few short extensions together, make sure they are nice and secure! It is as straightforward as Chris suggests, we can remove one in about 40 minutes now, and gearboxes in about the same time.

When refitting dont forget the engine and gearbox have to be properly aligned, an easy but important job...

Vince is your 40 mins from start to finish ie including removal of all decks etc..? If so i am very impressed!

Cheers

Timbo

Tim- we have a handy Ward LaFrance and keep a dedicated set of lifting eyes and strops with the Spartan. The deck is only held on with 4 bolts too! Fortunately not had to have the deck off for a couple of years now, may need to come off soon though to make fixing the side light wiring easier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am probably a week or more away from starting this job but thought I would ask anyway. I am hoping to use a recon engine for peace of mind. When fitting I am assuming I will need oil, coolant, and will probably put a new fan belt on while I'm at it. Anything else I will need to think about. As I will only have a day or two from start to finish I dont want to ge there and find Im missing something..!

Cheers

Timbo

Tim,

Do you have spares of any of the exhaust parts? If they've been on a while they may be stubbon to get off. Some new clamps for the flexy pipes, new ones if you have them as you may damage them removing them.

When you take off the oil pipes from the heat exchanger to the gearbox tie them to the engine before lifting it out. Fit the exhaust Y branch to the new one before dropping it in.

You'll need some long extensions for the bolts on the rear engine mount, some tape to stick the bolt to the socket, the socket to the extension etc always helps.

You should be able to swap the engine in a day quite easily.

Chris

Cheers Chris

I will take note of those points! Have seen it done and also understand the theory but never done it in anger myself, so quite looking forward to it.! Will check on the various clamps before I start.

Tim