Austin Champ chassis/body restoration

simondema

Question

Hi all

Been reading quite a bit about the restoration process for the chassis and body, including panels and accessories for the Champ. Some people have used sandblasting, though mostly for the chassis, and others have used good 'ole elbow grease and used paint stripper atc.

I have contacted a company in Sydney who would strip and prime the chassis and all panels for around AUD$1800. They suggested I go and get the engine "Soda blasted" as this is a gentler method and will retain the smooth surface of the engine.

The above company also does powder coating, though they suggest a zinc coating should be applied on the metal surfaces prior to powder coating. Does all this sound like the right direction to go in for the Champ, or is there another better method? I have been told by the owner who is selling the vehicle there is little or no rust anywhere on the Champ. The only area is a small patch where the floor meets the side panel (I remember from the past that was always a weak spot). Therefore, is doing all of the above overkill? As this project will take me quite a while to complete, the chassis, body and panels will be stored for an extended period of time, therefore I want to ensure they are adequately protected.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

3 answers to this question

Hi Simon,

Yours sounds a nice example so personally I think its overkill to go this route; the 2 Champs I've done, I stripped old paint, rust and underseal by hand (wire brush on an angle grinder, heat gun and emery cloth). The battery box is a little awkward but remove the body tub and as many components as poss and you'll be fine.

For the engine, once its out of the vehicle, a can of Gunk and a pot of ground equipment blue have been all that I needed

Regards

Martin