Early narrow track sankey trailer

Have decided to try and restore my early sankey trailer to go with the Champ I,m restoring at the mo, its a bit ripe and will need a fair bit of work and as it has had a tailgate cut in it at some time I want to use it as a bike trailer whilst keeping its general original looks.

Can any shed some light on these early trailers please as I know diddly squat, anyone know where I can get hold of a manual ?

100_1487.jpg

100_1489.jpg

Any help / info much appreciated.

Had another look at the trailer today and its ripe ok, trying to decide wether or not to start restoration, how rare are these trailers ?

100_1969.jpg

mmmm ?100_1970.jpg

Anyone have any idea on their worth if I could find one for a reasonable amount I may consider breaking this one for spares then again I like a challenge :nut:

Can anyone shed some light on these early trailers please as I know diddly squat, anyone know where I can get hold of a manual ?

Jeremy I have the manual for the one after that, which is dated 1974, If its any use then you can copy it to your hearts content. ;)

Have you managed to expose the data plate etc yet!

I think C&S Tat has the manual for my version and not the one you have that is Early, Early???? TBC!

Mine is Army Code 22376. Issued December 1971. Trailer, 3/4 Ton, 2WH, Sankey. FV2361

Save it mate..!

Like a lot of things which were once so common they were considered worthless, many hundreds of these have been scrapped. These will be rare eand expensive one day, esp the narrow track version (at least that's what I keep telling the missus!)..

Save it mate..!

Like a lot of things which were once so common they were considered worthless, many hundreds of these have been scrapped. These will be rare eand expensive one day, esp the narrow track version (at least that's what I keep telling the missus!)..

I agree and looking at the work on the Champ your trailer is in good hands.

I had a ½ ton narrow track like yours. The hitch is variable height. Where the tube for the towing eye mounts on the box there are two bolts at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. Soak them with lots of oil and gently try to remove them. If they come out then you can rotate the hitch in that shaft and then put the bolts back in. This is the only narrow track trailer I know of that has that ability.

The chassis is a plain 'C' channel and easily fabricated if it has rotted out. To have the channels made about 10 years ago for mine cost me just under £50. I would guess that equates to £100 now? The tub is probably a later one as the ½ ton tubs had pressings in the sides. Easier to repir the tub you have. Getting the 'correct' tub is virtually impossible so you would have to remanufacture one.

I should also add that I doubt you would make any money on the trailer if you restored it and then sold it. Those trailers are quite hard to find, and getting rarer, and rarer every year. Ones with the correct tub are usualy already restored and stuck to the back of a champ already. Value as it sits? I would say maybe £50 as it is almost certainly not road legal without some considerable surgery. The 'A' frame looks very rotten.

I guess the rear tub would echo mine,,, albeit mine was wrotten and patched....I bought mine off a self build home owner 4 years ago for £50 and I know the bottom 4 inches and arse were altered (Rot and a false tailgate etc.......Hole).

However believing how rare a late 60s / early 70s narrow track might be I swamped at the purchase. I knew the tub was repairable.... As a simple metal bashers afair...............

I should also add that I doubt you would make any money on the trailer if you restored it and then sold it. Those trailers are quite hard to find, and getting rarer, and rarer every year. Ones with the correct tub are usualy already restored and stuck to the back of a champ already. Value as it sits? I would say maybe £50 as it is almost certainly not road legal without some considerable surgery. The 'A' frame looks very rotten.

Honest but maybe misleading.......If it is possible to repair chassis and then prepare or obtain the pressed panel tub then this would be another rare item saved.............

In years to come these items will become special and the effort we put in to suit age now will pay dividend as long as we are not a get rich quick outfit.

we should only scrap to support a sensible chain and not one reaching preservation existance etc.

Don't rule out J. Brockhouse.. If the nomenclature plate is missing - could be difficult now to identify.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?12157-Questions-on-Brockhouse-trailer

There were plain sided tubs as well as pressed ribbed reinforced sides. Pressed (curved 90 degree bends) inner wings - clue.

Any brass C of G plates centre of wheel-arch or holes remaining ?

ISTR the chassis (rolling) in the main for narrow-tracks were built up by Rubery Owen (some components such as wheel rims off Sankey) , they were bodied up by Brockhouse, Sankey or Pressed Steel / Roots (who fitted the electrics & finished off).

The later narrow-track contracts , in the main by Sankey & Pressed Steel would be the GP trailers but Brockhouse tended to get the contracts for finishing off equipped trailers for such as LO (but ISTR - the basic trailer may not always have been their build up).

Thanks for info had a good look for plates but no luck so far, the tub sides are plain and the inner wings have curved 90 degree bends to them will have another good look for plates as I will attempt to move it down to my shed soon so that new tub panels can be fabricated.

Don't rule out J. Brockhouse.. If the nomenclature plate is missing - could be difficult now to identify.

There were plain sided tubs as well as pressed ribbed reinforced sides. Pressed (curved 90 degree bends) inner wings - clue.

ISTR the chassis (rolling) in the main for narrow-tracks were built up by Rubery Owen (some components such as wheel rims off Sankey) , they were bodied up by Brockhouse, Sankey or Pressed Steel / Roots (who fitted the electrics & finished off).

The later narrow-track contracts , in the main by Sankey & Pressed Steel would be the GP trailers but Brockhouse tended to get the contracts for finishing off equipped trailers for such as LO (but ISTR - the basic trailer may not always have been their build up).

Edited by rampant rivet

Earlier today I spoke to my father about the ½ ton we restored many years ago. He mentioned that the tub mountings for the later ¾ ton trailers are different in the centre line of the trailer. The angled brackets should sit against the cross strutts apparently, but the ¾ ton tub has the brackets closer to the front/ rear edge leaving a sizeable gap.

I no longer have the trailer so cannot get photos to explain what I am rambling on about, but perhaps someone else is able to? The angle brackets on the underside of the tub are the ones with the round hole that the J-bolts hook into. The ones along the sides matched on mine.

Found this today

100_1984.jpg

Hope this sheds some light on its identity any info much appreciated.

Cheers RR

I,m not sure wether to tow that old trailer of mine to the workshop as it may disintergrate on the way and I,ll have nothing left to restore :-D must sort new tyre first.

I would trailer the trailer mate if that makes sense!.....Also worth a wrap in a tarp when trailered. Do you agree?

• 3 weeks later...