Traverse Mechanism Identification help, please?

robin craig

Question

12 answers to this question

I am amazed that so few people have even looked at this let alone no one has replied.

My thoughts are that this might be Scorpion but as we don't have a Scorpion I don't know what one looks like. Do you?

I thought that maybe it is a traverse for the Peak Engineering turret, again we don't have one of those, Do you?

Maybe it is Warrior? Do you have a Warrior? We don't, do you?

Honest, i'm looking for answers, not trying to set a riddle.

Robin

Andy,

if you mean the square ish box upper left of last picture, I will have to go look at it but it looks like a firing button box for something with two buttons on it. Will have a look today.

R

Sounds like the firing box for the smoke dischargers..

So, we have some progress.

I am wondering if some parts got mixed up and it might actually be something that you guys in the UK have not seen before.

In Canada there are vehicles with Scorpion turrets, namely the AVGP Cougar as seen in this picture. This one is sadly a monument newly installed. Im wondering if CMP man aka Rob knows anything of what mechanism goes in this turret?

Further research shows that the Cougar had a powered traverse mechanism, the odds ar growing that this may be what it is . .

R

AVGP Cougar.jpg

Edited by robin craig

I had to go onto my old microfiche to ID it. Some day the light bulb in that old machine is going to burn out and I won't be able to look this stuff up anymore.

The NSN is 2590-21-879-2204. The microfiche says it is for the grizzly turret. We have a grizzly here in the Shilo museum, but sadly the turret mechanism is missing. If you get tired of tripping on it, send it on out.

Edited by cmpman

cmpman, aka Rob,

Can you turn the old machine on again and see if the same part is also for the Cougar?

Thanks for the look up on the fiche, if you need bulbs I will buy you a few just for the answers I get from you.

Am sending you an email tonight

R

I would have to check a separate set of fiche for the ERNs, to see if it fit something else. I am not even sure if I still have that set. I got the Grizzly application right off the description.

But my hunch says this is only for the grizzly. About the only other thing I can tell you about this NSN is that it was assigned on 6 June 1978.