Bedford MWD Intake Manifold

44GPW

Question

Guys,

Need some help to work out whats wrong here?

Went to fit a correct Wartime Solex Carb to my MW today, which is the correct type as per MW manuals (currently have a 1950's Zenith unit fitted). I was perplexed to find that the Flange on the Solex Carb was 90 degrees different to the flange on the Manifold?? I'm assuming i have the incorrect Intake Manifold fitted, but would appreciate your input/confirmation (see photos attached).

Many thanks

Richard

108_8598.jpg108_8597.jpg

10 answers to this question

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that. Yes, i was aware of the later the Oil filter. There is a Vauxhall Motors rebuild plate on the engine dated 1950.

Looks like i may be able to get an adaptor from the PO, but longer term i assume can i change both Manifolds to get it correct (assuming i can obtain them).

Thanks

Richard

Edited by 44GPW

Hello Richard,

I think you will have to change the inlet manifold to fit the army carb. If you put an adaptor plate on to turn the carb it will be to high and the air filter pipe will catch the bonnet. It shouldn't be to hard to pick up a manifold, its the exhaust that are hard to get.

Regards john

Hi, I would have thought it should have the cast iron manifold with the bimetallic flap, that would change the orientation of the carb studs 90 degrees?

A 90 degree adaptor would work as well but be careful incase it insulated the carb too much, you might end up with carb icing etc as a result :-|

I have a wartime 28hp MW engine in my 49 MLD, it is fitted with the cast iron manifold and a Solex RZFAIP carb, fitted with the 0 degrees F Starter modification.

I'll take some pics if I remember.... :-D

Alec.

Just to finish this thread off, here is the correct Military assembly i have obtained and restored, now ready to be installed. It seems that the Intake Manifolds and Carb's are available.....the Exhaust Manifold....now thats a different story!!

1088730.jpg

By armyspecial at 2012-04-11