Brand new ex-home office Austin Gipsys

RattlesnakeBob

ahh but what you have got to remember is that £3000 in 1997 is a lot different than £3000 in 2012, still a hell of a lot more than folks were expecting though!

Mark

There were quite a few dealers there who pushed the prices up and ended up with burnt fingers, as they struggled to sell them on. Most of the people who really wanted one bought one at the sale, there wasn't much market for a profit to be made on them.

Hey Bob

When you gonna get yourself a military vehicle then ??? :cool2:

hahaha I'm gonna upset the Gipsy fans on here now cos half of whatever people were paying, would have been way too much to pay for a Gipsy! ...hahahah..:D

I'm only having a laugh but I do have to say.........

I came across a few Gipsys now and then in my days back in the 80s and 90s messing about with the AWDC and also in normal road use and I gotta say I thought they were awful vehicles...heavy , slow , not particularly good looking.....pretty rubbish off road.....and ....they rotted for fun....

...in fact....

....about the same as an Austin Champ! (ooooer! christ! thats gone and done it now! :-X)

mind you..........I am a an absolute died in the wool Jeep and Series One Landrover fanatic so I'm honour bound to fuel the old Landrover v Jeep v Gipsy v Champ debate :) ....

and..having said all of that....

..... we can't all like the same things and life would be pretty dull if we did so its nice to see them surviving :D

so .....where d'you all reckon they've got the brand new Jeeps stashed then ?? :Dhahah!

Hey Bob

When you gonna get yourself a military vehicle then ??? :cool2:

.....I'm patiently awaiting the crash in Jeep and Sherman Tank prices mate......:D..

..failing that ....when the right Landrover Lightweight or 101 FC comes along...

..........I'll be on it like a pig on a tater ..:drive:

Scott, we printed the sale prices in the June '97 club newsletter (#38)

When you look back at the actual sales prices they are not as high as folklore remembers, the LWB were around £2000 and the SWB around £3000 the most expensive was a leaf sprung SWB at £4000. (buyers premium and VAT were added though)

Cheers Steve. But we didn't get our Gipsy until 1999 so didn't start having a newsletter until then :D will have to take a peak at a spare one if you ever have one on you.

Thats the problem as long as bank interest rates remain low I am afraid that jeeps in particular are looked upon as good investments due to their year on year appreciation, I,m glad I bought mine nearly 20yrs ago even then I could only afford a project vehicle and had to rebuild it myself which was the start of a slippery slope !! even the Norton which I found when I was 19 came in a tea chest and that took untill 2003 before I got around to putting it on the road :-D

It's the old story I'm afraid Jerry....

.....I recall being at a clearance sale on a farm near Thornbury around late 1977 early '78 with my Dad and there was tatty but complete and just about running / driveable Jeep in the auction......Dad had been muttering for years about maybe getting one for us to mess about in and we gave it a good clambering over and under and decided it was probably worth a go at if it came for about 5 or 600 quid....:-\...

....the bidding started at £500 quid and got to (as I recall) £1200 in no more than 3 or 4 bids.......Father (along with many other folk stood around watching) muttered summat like "bugger that!" and we watched the hammer fall.....

.....If we knew then etc hey???? ...by 1983/4 Jeep prices were rocketing and I realised that a grand or so 6 years or so before was cheap and well worth it.........by then a ratbag was fetching 3 or 4 grand though ....

It's the same ol' same ol' though mate.....

...In 1977 I simply didn't have a grand to spend...in those days I was bring home about £29 quid a week from a farm........

Yes I was lucky in 1993 to find my GPW I think I paid £1400 which was a lot of money at the time for a jeep with no brakes, no floor and no exhaust but then jeeps were fetching around the 4K mark have you thought of buying a project vehicle there are still some nice ones coming in from the states now and again lots of people doing spares though I think that good original engine blocks are getting thin on the ground now.

Go on you know you want to do it :cool2:

Go on you know you want to do it :cool2:

hahah:D well...I'm working my way steadily back towards that place financially mate having suffered the vagaries of one of those divorce 'things' a few years back.:cool2:

.........got yet another Series 2 LR waiting it's turn to get done up and sold and when that's done ...I'll 're-evaluate' the 'ready cash for spending on toys' situation and see whats about...I do love jeeps always have done but I wouldn't mind summat else ...the one 'must have' is it would have to be 4X4....so.....a LR Lightweight is probably favourite but I guess they're never gonna appreciate in the way a Jeep would... (he said confidantly....now watch what happens to LR prices over the next 10 years or so ! hahah ).:-)

.........and I can't realistically fund running a V8 these days so a FC101 (unless it's had a tidy Diesel conversion done) is out too.........so what else does anyone suggest ?????

What you want in a couple of years time is a lovely fully restored Austin Champ :D and I just might know where you could find one, failing that I met a bloke in a pub who told me that his mates uncle told him about all these old jeeps that got chucked down some old mine shaft locally think you may have a similar story :nut: but seriously did I tell you about the half buried jeep I found in some woods nr Redbrook well it all started at the old North Nibbly steam rally years ago I was talking to ..................................................

Edited by rampant rivet

hahah :D

...hey are you sure that wasn't my old V8 Series One you found half buried in mud down in Redbrook once?..got her stuck down that way on more than one occasion!

...and you better read my previous comments for what I think of Champs and Gypsys hahahah :D

all power to you and the many others that own/restore/cherish them but....

.............they're not for me..:angel:

Hey if I'd believed a quarter of all the stories I'd heard whilst growing up in the FoD mate I'd have spent every waking hour of everyday in the woods digging everything from Harleys to Jeeps and brand new M1 Carbines out of any number of pitshafts...

..I know there is a bit of stuff out there to be found (I dug a Mills Grenade up in my own garden when I lived at Milkwall and have a very nice Mortar shell that wasn't found so far from that either so you haven't always gotta look too far :cheesy:) ...

......but.....honestly speaking ..

.have you ever spoken to anyone that had conclusive proof of the lurid burials that are supposed to have happened in the Dean?..

.Like I say...I've heard a load of the stories but they're always along the lines of

"my brothers mates best friends uncles cousin was told by a bloke in the pub who's grandad knew a man" etc ...

I do know lot of kit was dumped locally but it's usually along the lines of beds & chairs & canteen gear , general fixtures and fittings from a lot of the camps and ...also I will admit to hearing on very good authority (from an actual eye witness in my family) of a large quantity of vehicle spares going down certain old shafts in 1945... and....fairs fair..

.... I know you and a couple of other fellas have found a few nice bits and pieces out there ....but....... as to 'complete brand new' whatever etc etc ???..

well.......lets say that I always remain very happy to be proven wrong :D......

Mind you ......if you know different ?:D

don't forget the coal mines of the Dean has been one of my very serious interests for many many years.... and I do know my way around an awful lot of them! hahahah!:cheesy:

The closest I think I got to know the shaft where the jeeps are tipped end on is somewhere near the forestry school at Coalway what d'reckon ??? even if they are there by now they will be as rotten as old baked bean cans, did you see any of the ammo box,s etc they pulled out of the shaft on the British :shocked:

The closest I think I got to know the shaft where the jeeps are tipped end on is somewhere near the forestry school at Coalway what d'reckon ??? even if they are there by now they will be as rotten as old baked bean cans, did you see any of the ammo box,s etc they pulled out of the shaft on the British :shocked:

yeah I was proper impressed by that lot Jerry...:-).

..also a little 'intrigued' by the way that the 'powers that be' deny now that they found anything at all in that particular shaft....:-|

we'll have to get together for a beer mate and between the two of us we'll see what we reckon about it all....

the shaft you're referring to is/was Prosper Pit...the shaft has in the last few years been more or less obliterated but I can show you where it is....there are a number of others in the Fetter Hill and also Mile End areas

...like you say though...

.....even if you could somehow get permission to get an excavator in ( and that'd be a bloody miracle with the way the Forestry approach the dreaded H&S these days !)....what state would anything be in ?????....

..it would still be a helluva expedition though would't it ??? :cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2: