SAS Windproof Smock Question

Rasputin

I have an original SAS Smock, and on the left sleeve, there used to be several patches. The top patch was Para Wings, and the bottom looks like it was the rank of Sgt.

The one that has me puzzled is the very small rectangular patch that was between the two others. What went here? Its small enough to be a blood type patch, but I have no idea if the British used these or not.

The Smock in question is real Gabradine, and looks to be from the mid to late 1990s. I'll put some pics up later...its really interesting with an added pocket for a compass on the front.

I have an original SAS Smock, and on the left sleeve, there used to be several patches. The top patch was Para Wings, and the bottom looks like it was the rank of Sgt.

The one that has me puzzled is the very small rectangular patch that was between the two others. What went here? Its small enough to be a blood type patch, but I have no idea if the British used these or not.

The Smock in question is real Gabradine, and looks to be from the mid to late 1990s. I'll put some pics up later...its really interesting with an added pocket for a compass on the front.

With para wings and rank patch, I would put my money on the missing "square" insignia as being an airborne "DZ" patch in appropriate colours for the particular Battalion/unit.........

SAS troops would wear no insignia, hence the lack of rank tabs on the garment.......but many of these were acquired by other troops, adding insignia to suit........paras almost always wore wings, rank and DZ patch on all combat garments and the SAS and arctic windproof smocks were extremely popular......

Now with pics:

Front:

sassmockfront.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rear:

sassmockrear.jpg

The owner added what I've been told is a compass pocket. Looks to be professionally done:

sassmockaddedcompasspoc.jpg

The right sleeve. It had Para wings, a smaller rectangular badge (drop zone as suggested?) and rank:

sassmockrightsleeve.jpg

On the rear of the right sleeve is the FFD pocket, the sleeve on the left has another pocket. No shoulder seem, and the material looks to be Gabradine to me. I really like this Smock ALOT!

If I were to try and locate the correct patches to sew back on, where would I get them? Also, the DZ patches I looked up were square in shape, but I did find one that was rectangular, and this one was listed as Signals. Thoughts?

Agree - if anything it looks to me like an additonal 'Union Jack' patch as per the other arm...

Agreed, DZ patches are usually square......

This may be one of the numerous UK formation flashes that began to make an appearance during the 1990's.....indicating particular regiments, battalions, etc........the presence of para wings does not necessarily indicate ex-airborne forces, as many other troops qualify for these wings.....

I think the presence of a Union Jack would be unusual though.......these were generally reserved for the upper-left sleeve only, rarely if ever worn on both arms.....

The smock itself looks to be late-production (late 1990s going into the 2000's).....judging by the colouring, pattern, etc...

Definitely not a Union Jack,probably one of the many TRF patches used by various units.

Is it me or does the label look plasticy/vinyl in the pic?

Some late-production smocks and trousers, including para smocks, have labels that are indeed a rather shiny coated green colour with black printing.......guess a more modern development than the traditional cotton-based labels....

I measured the Union Jack thats still on the opposite shoulder, and although its close, the size is wrong. I sure wish I had a better idea of what was on the sleeve so I can put the patches back on.

What are TRF patches, and would the jump wings have been subdued?

I measured the Union Jack thats still on the opposite shoulder, and although its close, the size is wrong. I sure wish I had a better idea of what was on the sleeve so I can put the patches back on.

What are TRF patches, and would the jump wings have been subdued?

TRF = "Tactical Recognition Flash"........these are always coloured......

No point in having subdued jump wings in this case ! The subdued jump wings were never an official issue during the 1970s to 90s, although that may well have since changed......but you could obtain them from commercial sources......issue rank insignia from the late-1970s onwards for combats was always subdued.......prior to this the old battledress or No.2 dress chevrons and/or embroidered officer rank pips were worn on combat dress, often on the right-sleeve only.....:)

I honestly have no idea at all. The only thing I know for sure is that its an SAS Smock. As was pointed out earlier, its likely not from the Regiment because of the patches, but I'm still curious as to who might have been using it.

Its this was used by an RAF Warrant Officer, mabey he was flight crew in a unit that flew missions for the Royal Marines, or the SAS. This might explain the addition of the compass pouch being added to the front. If they were shot or forced down, a compass would have been vital for E&E.

The Badge is a WO Class 1 or RQMS (Regimental Quarter Master Sergeant)........WO Class 11 have a simple crown (no wreath) and RSMs (Regimental Sergeant Major) the full Royal Arms.......

In the RAF, you only have the Warrant Officer rank (full Royal Arms)......some aircrew ranks are different, always accompanied by an eagle.....

Army and Air Cadets seem to use certain examples of insignia unique to them and/or obsolete in the regular forces.....