37 pat belt with steel buckles

MHillyard

it could be a post war I think called mk 3, I have a haver sack with black metal fittings from 51.

That is a possibility, i have a couple of post-war haversacks with metal fittings but i have never seen it on a belt before. you are probably right though

I have seen the steel buckles on post war belts and webbing but they are all painted Black. I have also seen steel buckles on wartime belts but the steel is painted Green or Brown and I beleive it is a wartime ecconomy measure. I have heard that the belts with steel buckles were not liked by NCOs as they could not be polished for parades.

According to official sources, the steel fittings were introduced to combat shortages of brass needed for munitions production.......we are looking at 1942 to 1945 here, thereafter production reverting to brass.......

Wartime steel fittings are usually a grey-colour, the official name being "sheradised".........post-war, steel was still used but now finished in a painted or anodised black.......

Check out the website "Karkee web".......full of official detail....:-)