Eaton gearbox question

Grasshopper

Question

Our ERF EC6 has an 8 speed (plus crawler) Eaton gearbox box, and will be coming out for a clutch change soon. Its always been a bit crunchy going into 5th gear (years of range change abuse I assume) and I wondered if anybnody knew how difficult it would be to fit a new synchro to this while the 'box is out?

I have stripped a splitter box before, but it was when I was at college! All the other 'boxes I've repaired are 4 speed crash ones or AEC/Wilson semi-auto's.

5 answers to this question

So folks,

Following on from Vince's earlier post we removed the gearbox today to change what we thought was a worn out clutch. However upon removing the clutch it is almost new. In fact there is almost as much meat on it as on the new one. The pedal had been getting higher and higher and on my last trip out I was concerned even about making it home so I don't know what the problem actually was/is other than something hydraulic?

We decided to fit the new clutch assembly in case it was the pressure plate that was the problem but having fitted it we cannot get the 'box back on. We forgot to put it in gear before removing and we now cannot get it into gear. It is an Eaton splitter. Does anyone have any suggestions as we have no experience of this type of box?

MV content: without this truck our CVRTs and friends' Halftracks don't go to shows.

Thanks in advance - MG

So folks,

Following on from Vince's earlier post we removed the gearbox today to change what we thought was a worn out clutch. However upon removing the clutch it is almost new. In fact there is almost as much meat on it as on the new one. The pedal had been getting higher and higher and on my last trip out I was concerned even about making it home so I don't know what the problem actually was/is other than something hydraulic?

We decided to fit the new clutch assembly in case it was the pressure plate that was the problem but having fitted it we cannot get the 'box back on. We forgot to put it in gear before removing and we now cannot get it into gear. It is an Eaton splitter. Does anyone have any suggestions as we have no experience of this type of box?

MV content: without this truck our CVRTs and friends' Halftracks don't go to shows.

Thanks in advance - MG

Hi Mike and Vince

Is the new cover plate the same as the old one height wise.

are the splines lined up with the pilot bearing in the crank.

Has clutch fork dropped off and jamming the the gearbox from going back on.

Clutch release bearing catching on something.

You need to stop the input shaft turning on the box can you take off a top plate and select a gear.

Good luck you probably know all of the above :undecided:

Thanks Rich,

The problem is that we cannot lock the 'box in gear in order to offer up the clutch splines. It looks as though the 'box needs some air to select a range and gear. We plan to pressurise it from the portable compressor and see if that does the trick. Apparently the 'boxes are locked in gear when supplied new...

- MG

Thanks Rich,

The problem is that we cannot lock the 'box in gear in order to offer up the clutch splines. It looks as though the 'box needs some air to select a range and gear. We plan to pressurise it from the portable compressor and see if that does the trick. Apparently the 'boxes are locked in gear when supplied new...

- MG

Is there no way of wiping the top off an inspection cover or something and manually selecting a gear, don't put tooo much air pressure in there you don't want to blow any seals, but then you probably know that....

Might have to have a chat with you about a 6BT :cool2:

We may lift the box up, connect the pneumatics and fill the vehicle reservoirs form the compressor to see if that does the trick. Tried taking the top off the box and selecting a gear, turning both input and output shafts but still no joy. It isn't a problem with the box as it was only dropped off for the clutch change. Whenever it starts up with no air, there is a clunk from the box as the air builds up (which is I think the high/low range selecting).