nice ww2 jeep , just needs attention

Willyslancs

I have it on good authority that Brig General Young looked out of the window 30 seconds later and said "bugger! I left my fags on the dash!"

I see that you live in the Forest of Dean, I have very fond memories of driving an HGV up through the forest on my way to Coleford to load, that would be during the summer months at about 7.00am with the sun bursting through the trees. That would have been around 1963....65. Beautiful part of the country. ( I seem to remember that there were drift mines in the woods ??? )

I see that you live in the Forest of Dean, I have very fond memories of driving an HGV up through the forest on my way to Coleford to load, that would be during the summer months at about 7.00am with the sun bursting through the trees. That would have been around 1963....65. Beautiful part of the country. ( I seem to remember that there were drift mines in the woods ??? )

yeah that's us Ray! ..very few folk know that the Forest of Dean used to be a big bonafide coalfield........up until 1961 there were still 6 major collieries in the Dean, 2 of which employed almost a 1000 men .....only 20 years before that, there was double that number of big collieries working and countless numbers of smaller pits that employed 100 or so miners..

..back in the early 60s there would still have been a couple of the big collieries left too but alas not for long....the last proper 'deep' pit Northern United closed at Xmas 1965..there are however still a few drift mines left, ( known as 'freemines' round these here parts)... but nowhere near as many as in years gone by.....

....'coal and the getting of it' has always held a fascination for me and the woods are full of the remains of past endeavours mate....well worth a good walk if you're ever in the area..... PS: where did you used to collect/deliver from & to ?

I seem to remember I loaded "Ribena".............. I could be wrong, I loaded so many things from so many places, I will have to rack my brain. Whatever I loaded I know that there was a soft drinks connection. I loaded bottled drinks from various depots throughout England and Wales driving either a 6 wheeler AEC, ERF or a Truck and drawbar trailer. I know that I used to drive through the woods, soaking up the scenery, sun shining through the trees, probably singing to myself and thinking....my wife and kids are still in bed, they dont know what they are missing.

I seem to remember I loaded "Ribena".............. I could be wrong, I loaded so many things from so many places, I will have to rack my brain. Whatever I loaded I know that there was a soft drinks connection. I loaded bottled drinks from various depots throughout England and Wales driving either a 6 wheeler AEC, ERF or a Truck and drawbar trailer. I know that I used to drive through the woods, soaking up the scenery, sun shining through the trees, probably singing to myself and thinking....my wife and kids are still in bed, they dont know what they are missing.

ah ha!....The Ribena connection is a dead giveaway mate .!!

.......you must have run into what was known in those days as Carters at Coleford...........they 'invented' the stuff...not sure if they still make it but they must have made a couple of hundred million gallons over the years ....that and Lucozade were their main brands..........they were bought out years ago and are now Smith Kline Beechams ..still a massive employer in the Forest mate :D

ah ha!....The Ribena connection is a dead giveaway mate .!!

.......you must have run into what was known in those days as Carters at Coleford...........they 'invented' the stuff...not sure if they still make it but they must have made a couple of hundred million gallons over the years ....that and Lucozade were their main brands..........they were bought out years ago and are now Smith Kline Beechams ..still a massive employer in the Forest mate :D

Thank you for confirming that I am not losing my marbles..... its been a long time, I am very pleased to hear that they are still there and providing employment for the locals. So many things have changed, and unfortunately, not all for the better.

I have been one of those lucky people that has enjoyed my working life ( most of it my own business, involving trucks)

I am sure that I would derive just as much pleasure today driving up through the forest...... maybe one day I will make the effort........ even if it does have to be in my car, at least this time I would perhaps be able to show my wife just what she was missing all those years ago, just have to pick a nice sunny morning. I wish you well my friend, you live in a beautiful part of this island of ours......... I still manage to do a bit of truck driving, but I am confined now to my 1944 GMC cckw 353.

Mosley Rail Weekend. 015.jpg