Centurion Engine Removal Advice

jpg1982

Just been told by the boss that ive got to remove a centurion engine and gearbox tomorrow. Ive never done one of these so i was just after some general advice on what order to remove things, any hidden bolts wires etc and also how much do i actually need to remove from/around the engine to get it out. How many man hours should a job like this take and how many people? We have got a 16ton excavator to lift everything out but unfortunately its all being done outside, so fingers crossed for good weather.

regards Jason

take our g/box, remove fans, clutch, starter motor .aux genset if in ,exhaust, oil tank. remove oil cooler line . there is a pice of channel that engine covers sit on neer the fighting compartment that will also need to be removed, unbolt engine lift out . there is some pics of me pulling out my engine http://centurion-mbt-two.synthasite.com/page-18.php about half way down and my mate getting some spares for his tank http://battle-tank.tripod.com/battletank_page_4 and http://battle-tank.tripod.com/battletank_page_11

Thanks for the info Adrian, so far i have removed a few insignificant bits while ive been working out where to start. All the hatches had seized shut so that took a while, surprisingly though everything apears to be ok underneath. I started to remove the radiators but i came a little stuck. I have managed to unwind the 2 big nuts that hold it on but it looks like they need to go more but there isnt the room. Is there an obvious solution to this that im missing.

Regards Jason

This is turning into the job from hell!!:mad: The weather certainly is not helping. Just about every nut and bolt is rusted solid. Ive managed to disconect the gearbox from the drive shafts and take all the gear linkages off. I still have the 2 mounting bolts to remove and the 2 bolts holding the clutch drive on. These are going to have to be burnt off as they are stuck fast. I gave up today once I ran out of acetylene, but im back on it tomorrow and the first job will be to cut the deck plates off to make access a bit easier. I will hopefully have the gearbox out and the aux engine out tomorrow. Apart from the rusty bolts ive encountered everything under the deck plates looks to be in good order. Will see how i get on tomorrow, hopefully a bit better than today, its not easy tackling a job like this on your own.:D