Bedford MWD core plugs

fayjo56

Hi All.

I have got 2 core plugs gone on my MW restoration, and also a leak at the back of the block, hidden by the bell housing. As I dont yet have a workshop manual, can someone tell me if there is a core plug here too?.

Also behind the drain tap was well and truly clogged up. I have carefully drilled through the sludge, but still no water so guess the jacket is rather blocked. Any recommendations to clean it through.

Will post some more pics on my restoration thread soon!

Paul.

Hi All.

I have got 2 core plugs gone on my MW restoration, and also a leak at the back of the block, hidden by the bell housing. As I dont yet have a workshop manual, can someone tell me if there is a core plug here too?.

Also behind the drain tap was well and truly clogged up. I have carefully drilled through the sludge, but still no water so guess the jacket is rather blocked. Any recommendations to clean it through.

Will post some more pics on my restoration thread soon!

Paul.

Paul,

There is a core plug hidden behind the bell housing, so you will need to replace it. There is one behind the starter too and I would suspect they all could be corroded at least the lower ones. If you remove the bottom hose and the core plug by starter, plus drain tap, you can use a pressure washer to clean out the sludge, putting it in the core plug hole and flushing forward, it takes a time and a hot wash type will bring better results, wash until water runs clear. Be carefull fitting new plugs as without a special tool you can knock them straight through.

regards, Richard

The plug on the back of the block is the same size as the rest of them I think, though it's years since I did one.

You can do a decent job of the rest of them, but you really, really need to get the back-of-the-block one right as you'd hate to do it twice.

I'm sure that I've seen someone add some insurance there, as they had fitted a new core plug, and then ( presumably after turning the block on its nose ...) filled the whole core plug recess up with lead solder. I remember thinking at the time it was a damn good idea for a core plug you really did NOT want to have to fix again.

That particular block had been left with the head off, and was not being changed out because a a core plug. :D

Thanks gents, a combination of caustic soda and a hot pressure wash seems to have cleared all the silt. Water now runs from the drain tap freely. I can still feel the odd bit of rust through the core plug holes, so a bit more flushing and I think we'll be there.