Welbike

Davey089

Hi I'm new to the forum , renovated a 42 Willy's 5yrs ago which I found in Limogue , France.

I have bought a 1943 MK1 Welbike which has MK2 tanks , isn't in too bad a nick , just a few jobs to do to it .

The main problem I have the headstock bearings are shot and theres play in the steering stem , somebody has welded the fork yolk onto the shaft!! .

I'm sleeving the headstock with phosphorus bronze, thats not a problem the problem is I'm after a new steering stem and forks as the original ones are U.S. Due to the amount of weld thats been used , the base of the stem has been destroyed , if I can get the bearing cup , forks , spacer and nut I can make up a steering stem .

Also I'm looking for a schematic diagram of the steering assy , so I can see all the components that make it up.

If anyone knows of anyone selling one or knows of a supplier of the parts I need I would be grateful , not the Indian suppliers as I've been told their bits a poor quality and it takes months to receive the goods , and sometimes goods don't arrive!!

Dave

wel-5LOGO.jpg

Edited by Davey089

Hi there

Nice to see another welbike owner on the forum. Mine has the similar problems as yours with the welded stem etc. If you need to look where parts go i have started a thread on here of my restoration.http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?26806-My-Welbike-Restoration

For parts (as said above) use welbike uk, they make the best quality parts and they have anything you need, if they don't have it they will make it for you. Their parts are not cheap but the quality does show, there is a price list on the website. They also sell bearings.

For any engine parts use http://www.villiersservices.co.uk/ pay no attention to the parts on the website, give them a call and you will find they stock absolutely everything related to a Villiers engine. I done a complete engine rebuild and they supplied every nut and bolt and good prices and next-day delivery.

For photos i look at this site http://www.harko.at/welbike/ but beware it is wrong in several places.

If you need a copy of the manuals just ask

Good luck with the restoration and if you need any details or photos just ask.

Martyn Hillyard

Edited by MHillyard

Hi Martyn

Thanks for that , I've given both the suppliers you mentioned , and they were very helpful, now sorted with the supply of bits , so have to get the workshop heater refilled with gas and crack on:D

I'll keep you upto date with how things progress , as I'll be stripping the engine, need to re-weld a clutch lever brkt as its snapped off at some point , rear wheel bearings , steering stem and forks , new coil as the sparks a bit on the weak side, set of correct grips and then paint the engine , always sounds straight forward :D. The awkward job is going to be seperating the yolk from the steering stem because the amount of weld used is unbelievable , must have been a ship builder lol , I think by the time I get them off they will be scrap!

Thanks Again

Dave

Hi Martyn

Thanks for that , I've given both the suppliers you mentioned , and they were very helpful, now sorted with the supply of bits , so have to get the workshop heater refilled with gas and crack on:D

I'll keep you upto date with how things progress , as I'll be stripping the engine, need to re-weld a clutch lever brkt as its snapped off at some point , rear wheel bearings , steering stem and forks , new coil as the sparks a bit on the weak side, set of correct grips and then paint the engine , always sounds straight forward :D. The awkward job is going to be seperating the yolk from the steering stem because the amount of weld used is unbelievable , must have been a ship builder lol , I think by the time I get them off they will be scrap!

Thanks Again

Dave

Sounds like you have a bit of work to do, luckily mine is only brazed on so it is reversible but i am dreading that it is covering up some damage around the frame number area.

If you need some photos of the engine rebuild or anything else i have lots more than what i have posted on my thread so if you give me your email i will happily send you them. The rebuild is really quite simple as long as you have the manuals and record what goes where. If you are stuck with something Villiers services know absolutely everything!

One thing that Villiers services did say is that the clutch is filled with a hard to find oil, i would not attempt to use any other oil than the stuff they recommend just to be safe. You will also need an arbor press or something similar it is almost impossible without one.

The manuals are available here http://www.welbike.co.uk/page3.html there is also a lot of history and information on the bikes here and the guy is very knowledgeable. I would not try to get parts from india because (as you said) i have heard the quality is not great. I personally would only deal with welbike uk as they are the only ones i know of that do exact replica parts, there are some others but the designs can be a bit inaccurate.

Is that your bike at the top?

any questions just ask

Martyn

Edited by MHillyard

Hi Martyn

My E mail is dave.ktm@btinternet.com , yes the photo is of the Welbike I managed to find , the work required isn't too bad its just a bit of time , I won't be starting it till after Christmas , I'll get all the bits first so I have them to hand and then get on with it , the actual headstock looks fine , I might still machine and re line it with a bronze bushing to the new stem just to tighten things back up , its the actual stem and fork yolk that looks like it mind end up as scrap due to previous welding attempts by previous owners .

Dave

the condition is a lot better than mine, i have the wrong forks and wheels.

Looking closely at your bike it would seem that the forks are pointing the wrong way, if you look at the picture below the forks point outwards rather than inwards.

250px-Welbike.jpg

Also i'm not sure if you have non-military carb, the military ones were just brass, yours may be from similar era lawnmower, The screw top of the carb which is undone to remove the needle is identifiable as military id the "grip" to turn it is crossed like XXXX but if it is civilian it has vertical grips like llllll . Villiers services stock the XXXX type and probably have the full brass carbs, i will send some photos.

Another thing which i would need to confirm is that a lot of welbikes have clutch levers with the lever pointing towards the rider (mine does not and i don't think yours is) i am unsure id this is right or not i will try to check.

Other than that yours seems to be very good! I am jealous.

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Your right about the clutch lever it should face backwards , it has at some point been snapped off, the weld is still on the bars , I'll either make a new perch or buy one and re-weld the correct one on along with a new lever . The forks are bent and the wrong way around , must have been run into a wall :D , thats the biggest fault with it , I'll have to see what the best way around it is when I make a start , but that will be the first job on the agenda :-). The carb top is the XXX brass the manifold is brass but looks like the carb has been changed , have to keep my eye open for one .

Dave

Edited by Davey089

• 2 weeks later...