Ferret Radio Systems...19 set?

Duffy

I am planning to restore my Canadian 54-82506 ferret to the UNEF era. That would include paint, markings, weapons and of course the radios. I have a sense that in 1956 they would have been using the WWII 19 sets....true?

Would anyone have any schematics of the set-up and what would be included? Any pics?

Just found this. Does it look right??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54512[/ATTACH]

That shows a 19 set with a Clansman set up above for an intercom.

Page 14 of the 1957 User manual shows a 19 set fitted and the further down the two hull mounted brackets for the aerials. Obviously this a British manual but both countries would still be using stocks of 19 radio sets at this time.

http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/mnuls/ferret_user_manual_1957.pdf

Larkspur was also a 19 set with added bits. That would fit the 1950's.

Wot?

Larkspur was the replacement of the WW2 wireless sets by the "New Range" initially developed for the RAC.

Initial Ferret installation would be a standard Wireless Set No.19, with "B" set still in use (short aerial with "halo" protective guard). A more complicated install (Liaison?) would have the AFV version of either Wireless Set No.88 or 31 for communication with supporting infantry. Later on, the 'B' set would be disabled (and removed during rebuild).

Later still, the WS19 would be replaced by the SR C12, which was exactly the same size and used the existing set mountings and wiring harness (with adapters to match the Plessey connectors to the WW2 6 and 12pt harness).

The WS 19 variometer would be replaced by the SR C12 ATU, mounted on top of the set.

Eventually, enough "Larkspur" kit became available and the SR C12 was replaced by the SR C42, which required wholesale replacement of the set mounting hardware and wiring harness. (As the army moved to VHF for short range mobile communications.

You can make a fairly accurate guess at the radio fit from the aerial bases visible in photographs:

"Convex" rubber base with 8 or 12-ft whip: WS19 or SR C12

"Tubular" base with protective ring and 18" rod: definitely WS19 with 'B' set fitted.

"Ribbed convex" base with above: WS88AFV or WS31AFV with WS19 or SR C12

"Ribbed convex" base only: SR C42

Two of them: SR C42 and SR Bsomethingorother (45?, 47?) for Infantry liaison.

The "Convex" base is the later WW2 "Aerial Base No.10 Mk.2"

The "Tubular" base is Aerial Base No.9 (on Mounting No.1 with Protector) for the WS19 'B' set.

The "Ribbed convex" base is the Larkspur VHF "Aerial Base No.28".

Chris. (E&OE - I'm no expert on Larkspur or vehicles - just interested in the WW2 signals side of things.)

Thanks Chris, very thorough explaination. Wondering if there are any reference books with pics of all the aerial configurations that you described. The following pics are of the 19 set on my 41 Carrier. How would you describe this set?

photo[1] (2).jpg

photo[1] (3).jpg

photo[1].jpg

photo[2] (2).jpg

photo[2] (3).jpg

This is from a 1962 Ferret EMEI showing 19 & B47.

Interesting. That's definitely a 12 volt system (the British twin dynamotor supply unit was only ever 12V input), and they've kept the WS19 power lead but fitted a harness adapter cable so that the "Larkspur" control harness can be fitted to support the B47 (replacing the WS19 'B' set which appears to be still fitted and not disabled).

Its not quite as bad as that as the 12v for 19 set heaters are drawn off from "low" battery. The 12v for the dynamotor is drawn off from the "top" battery. The negative of the dynamotor being taken from the link between the two 12v batteries. I hope the -ve feed for the 19 set is floating from earth?

My recollections of running the 19 set power supply was that the dynamotor drew considerably more current than the heaters! So there would have been quite an imbalance.

Its not quite as bad as that as the 12v for 19 set heaters are drawn off from "low" battery. The 12v for the dynamotor is drawn off from the "top" battery. The negative of the dynamotor being taken from the link between the two 12v batteries. I hope the -ve feed for the 19 set is floating from earth?

My recollections of running the 19 set power supply was that the dynamotor drew considerably more current than the heaters! So there would have been quite an imbalance.

Actually, that's the standard method for a 24 volt supply (tapped at 12V) used during WW2. A much better method is to use the Canadian Supply Unit No.2, as you can run the heaters and vibrator off the two halves of a tapped supply and the dynamotor off the 24 volts when transmitting, which effectively equalizes the load. On a two wire 24 volt system you have to run the dynamotor for everything, the set 12V being taken from the "tap" between the two 12V windings, and this trick was also used to supply 12V to the WS38AFV or WS88AFV in infantry support tanks. (The WS31AFV had both 12 and 24 volt power supplies built for it.)

The British supply unit has a "floating" dynamotor supply input, and the on/off switch is two-pole for that very reason.

(The WS19 set 12V input (and case) are grounded, which makes it necessary to use a floating battery supply in positive earth vehicles like early Land Rovers.)

The Australian setup is identical to the British one. :D

As far as I know, there are five basic types of supply unit for the WS19:

1) The "original" dynamotor supply for WS19 Mk.I and Mk.II (two 6-pin connectors, single (3 commutator) dynamotor 12 volts input, 250 and 500 volts output).

2) The Canadian Supply Unit No.2. This has a four commutator dynamotor (2 x 12V input, 265V and 540V output) which is switchable (internally) to suit 12V input (with the dynamotor LT inputs in parallel) or 24V (with them in series). It also contains a vibrator supply unit (operating on 12V only) that will run any two of the three WS19 components (A set, B set and InterCom amplifier) - if you want all three, you need the dynamotor running. There's a large rotary relay to switch from vibrator to dynamotor supply when transmitting. You can use the vibrator on 12V and 3-wire 24 volt systems only, and it's quieter and more efficient than the dynamotor, on 24V two wire it's dynamotor only.

3) American Supply Unit No.2. This was made by Eicor, and has two three-commutator dynamotors, some relay switching, and a vast amount of interference suppression hardware built in. Both dynamotors have twin 12V inputs, and the unit is switchable between 12 and 24 volt input from the front panel (with a protective cover to prevent accidents). 12 volt or 24 volt, two or three wire systems.

4) The British No.1 Mk.III supply (as seen earlier in the thread), flat front, two 12V input dynamotors, 12V or three wire 24 volt input only.

5) Canadian Supply Unit Rectifier No.1 is an AC mains unit in the same footprint as the other supplies, intended for training purposes (and probably static installations) 110 - 117 or 220 - 250 volts, 50 or 60 Hz input. Changing the operating voltage or the supply frequency requires moving wires between solder tags. Most of the internals are in pitch filled canisters, and it uses selenium rectifiers to provide the 12V supply and a bank of 6X5 valve rectifiers for the two HT supplies - the latter are working close to their limit and an insulation failure in the valves (heater/cathode short circuit) can easily destroy the main transformer. (Extreme care should be taken when buying one of these - you need to see it operating, on load, before agreeing to part with any money.)

Chris I remember I had a brand new Power Unit it was Canadian with vibrator & dynamotor, so must have been the No.2. I could never afford a complete 19 set, I had to rely on scrap chassis for 7/6 from Arthur Sallis, North Road, Brighton. Those were the days, used to run a PA with a pair of 807s.

My main interest was 17, 18 & 38 sets. Why ever did I get rid of them? Worth a fortune now :D