Yet Another Canadian Mk1 Ferret

Duffy

I was finally able to close the deal two days ago. I have been researching the Canadian involvement in UNEF in 1956, the Suez Crisis as it has been called. I was willing to settle for a non-running vehicle that needed work just to have that direct link to the UN's first peace keeping force. Lester Pearson later to be the Prime Minister of Canada had recommended that the UN send in a multi-national force to calm the escalating crisis in the Suez. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his proposal.

23 Ferrets were sent aboard the aircraft carrier HMCS Magnificent to the Suez canal. 82-506 is one of them.

Enough of the history lesson.

To my surprise it actually runs very well. Gears, Stearing and all the lights are fully functional.

I am considering restoring it to 1956 Squadron 56 UNEF. That would mean a 19 set radio and a Bren Gun. I would not paint it white but rather the m-series semi gloss olive drab. The ferrets were painted white a few years after they arrived in Egypt.

photo.jpg

securedownload[3] (3).jpg

securedownload[9] (2).jpg

securedownloadCAJ9M8E5.jpg

securedownloadCATIHKW2.jpg

Ferret%2054-82527%20UNEF%201223%2056%20Recce%20Sqn%20CAJ%20Jul%2058%20p33.jpg

Ferret_M38__UNEF_Sinai_DND_ME733.jpg

So I am still considering what depth of restoration I should do. Some are quite in depth ....some more superficial.

It's so original. I mean it has no electronic ignition, no replaceable oil filter kit. It even came with a box of the original oil filter cloth inserts. I think they called them diapers. I also got the drivers windshield insert and what I believe to be a C42 radio tray. They did add a battery kill switch which I forgot to turn off and a few hours later the battery was dead. I used my ferret slave cable to fire it up.

In 1970 my buddy Glen and I spent our March break from high school on coarse being trained on the Ferrets at Camp Petawa.

So two days ago he and I (42 years later) were driving around the back roads in what could be the same Ferret we once worked on and drove. Ok well there is probably about a 4 -7% chance....who knows...lol. This ferret did come out of a warehouse in Petawa about 1982.

securedownload[3] (4).jpg

securedownload[4] (2).jpg

securedownload[4] (3).jpg

securedownload[4] (4).jpg

securedownload[5] (2).jpg

securedownload[5] (3).jpg

• 2 years later...
I don't know who painted the Lynx but I'll bet it was politically correct at the time.

Here's another in-service pic of 506. Front left.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54188[/ATTACH]

Duffy,

I wonder where my 1954 Canadian Army Ferret MK1 54-82586 is in that picture..UNEF 1216...Still looking for any information about mine..I sure would like to honor any crewman...

nice "save"!

I'm sure you will do it justice with the resto / refresh. We use the electronic Ign. on our 2/3, and all the wires are hidden, so no one can tell its there, but it gives us a good spot on and hot spark, which we find has improved run-ability, so if you are considering the mod, we have found it worthwhile.

Cheers

Nick

CWC Canada