A new(ish) BRDM-2 owner joins the forum

texas pete

Hello All!

I thought I should join the ranks on the forum as I'm starting to work further into my BRDM-2 and could use some advise as I progress.

I bought my BRDM-2 over a year ago and I love it! It's registered on the roads, very reliable, and I seem to average 7.5 mpg :-) It's the nuclear, biological, chemical reconnaissance variant. However, I've been reworking a lot of the electronics (currently a TKN-1 night vision periscope is giving me a bit of hassle so if anyone has any experience on those I'd appreciate it).

Anyway, I look forward to meeting everyone and taking part in some rallies :D

Hi Texas Pete,

BRDM2 9P148 owner here in the UK.

I don't have the night vision sight on my vehicle so can't help on that. I do have some English manuals though. Sadly not quite as up to date as my vehicle. What year is yours?

Have you taken yours into the water yet?

Any other problems to report?

So far I've had cracked eshaust manifolds to sort out and the motor that opens and closes the engine louvres is stuffed.

Hi BRDM Driver,

It's an early model BRDM-2rch, dated 1971. But it runs really well (It even drove off the transporter when it arrived into the UK before having any work done on it). So if you have an early version English translation manual then I'd greatly appreciate seeing a copy of that! I have one hard copy manual and 3 different digital versions of BRDM manuals (however, they are all in Russian).

How is it owning a BRDM-3? ;)

I've always wondered how the hydraulics worked around the missile launching platform, is it powered off the same loop as the steering and duck board/shutter?

How do you open the louvres currently? I know from experience that if they aren't opened, then the engine over heats and shuts down within half an hour and you're left stranded in the middle of a busy roundabout in central Cambridge :embarrassed:

I've not had many problems with mine. Broke a drive shaft universal joint at the gear box a few months ago when I took it out for a forum meet with the russiantruck guys at an off road track. When the drive shaft snapped it also took out the hand throttle and choke cables (which I'm still trying to replace), but it only took me around an hour to refit a new drive shaft. The BRDM has been surprisingly easy to work on.

The only thing that concerns me is that I keep finding Greek beer bottle caps in the bottom of the vehicle??

I need to repair one of the drain holes in the vehicle before I take it into the water, plus I'm not too sure how to operate the seacock at the rear of the cabin. Have you taken yours swimming yet?

Oh, I don't know about you but I've found that if I'm driving long distance on the roads and averaging 60-80kph, I have to stop after an hour to let the engine cool down.

Hi Texaspete,

I have 2 manuals in english as pdf scans. I can email them to you. I wouldn't mind a look at your russian manuals if any are different to my english versions

The launcher is all electric. The turret is off mine at the moment but I want to get it back on and running as it looks cool when operating.

I have the service manual for the 9p148, in russian and some nice training posters, so it shouldn't be too hard to get going again.

The previous owner took my vehicle into the Thames, but he had a bit of a problem when moving the red lever the wrong way! The sea cock is hydraulic and moving the red lever on way closes it, the other way opens it!

I have yet to do any long runs on the road, only laps around the back garden so far. Never seen the engine get more than warm with the louvers down. The louver motor is stuffed on mine and there's no manual override, so I'm trying to track down a replacement. I suspect I'll end up making up a new motor from bits and bobs as spares seem impossible to get.

How's your fuel pump doing? Mine leaked like a leaky thing with a hole in it when I got it. I had to drive it off the loader with fuel dripping out and no air brakes, in the snow, with only the truck driver to help, negotiate a main road and then a tight corner up into the drive. It was quite a laugh!

I'm down in Dorset near the tank musem if you're ever down this way, let me know.

I can email the manuals, but they are about 300mb.

Cheers.

Edited by BRDM Driver

Hi Texaspete,

I have 2 manuals in english as pdf scans. I can email them to you. I wouldn't mind a look at your russian manuals if any are different to my english versions

The launcher is all electric. The turret is off mine at the moment but I want to get it back on and running as it looks cool when operating.

I have the service manual for the 9p148, in russian and some nice training posters, so it shouldn't be too hard to get going again.

The previous owner took my vehicle into the Thames, but he had a bit of a problem when moving the red lever the wrong way! The sea cock is hydraulic and moving the red lever on way closes it, the other way opens it!

I have yet to do any long runs on the road, only laps around the back garden so far. Never seen the engine get more than warm with the louvers down. The louver motor is stuffed on mine and there's no manual override, so I'm trying to track down a replacement. I suspect I'll end up making up a new motor from bits and bobs as spares seem impossible to get.

How's your fuel pump doing? Mine leaked like a leaky thing with a hole in it when I got it. I had to drive it off the loader with fuel dripping out and no air brakes, in the snow, with only the truck driver to help, negotiate a main road and then a tight corner up into the drive. It was quite a laugh!

I'm down in Dorset near the tank musem if you're ever down this way, let me know.

I can email the manuals, but they are about 300mb.

Cheers.

hi we own a brdm 2 chemical reconasence great bit of kit a bit of a squeeze to work on . so far we have had a prob with the fuel lift pump and also the steering ram seal but they were easy fixes once i got my self twisted and bent into the correct position usually head down backside up . those manuals would be good if i could beg/blag a copy if you dont mind .

many thanks

Iain

Hi Iain,

Have you had any luck sourcing spares?

Maybe there are enough BRDM owners on here to get a bit of buying power with STV etc???

I can email you the manuals, but there is about 300mb of data there.

Just let me know which address and I'll fire them off...

Cheers, Richard.

Pm'd you Richard, thanks.

I know what you mean about bending yourself into different shapes to work on anything, fortunately I'm kind of short. But I still remember having to hang upside down with one leg over the drive shaft to fit it.

I'd agree with starting an owners club of sorts and try to get some buying power with stv. I've been trying to find a day time commanders periscope for ages.

I've not really had any problems with my fuel pump, the only thing I get is a fuel vapour lock on the engine when it over heats.

Well Richard, if you do need a hand repairing that motor, I can certainly help you. Wouldn't also mind seeing that museum some time.

Thanks

Ian