1970's RAF job sheets

spooky

In the 1970's and 80's come to that, as mecahnics in the RAF we used to fill in job sheets for vehicle repairs on 1084 forms, they were very comprehensive i liked them. Having some discussions currently wih a friend who worked with me and also used the forms, we have tried to find the forward repair codes that we used, they were in a small booklet and were in groups dependant on what you were repairing and it has driven us mad as we cannot find a single reference to this booklet or even 1084's on the web, so i dont suppose anyone has seen anything?

many thanks

malc

Malc, 1084? Was this Air Publication 1084? I've got 1086 but don't know 1084.

Although as the Army became the Single Service Manager for MT in Jan 1976, would this have been Army Form G1084? It sort of fits in, although it is a Form rather than a Book. Below makes reference to "REME only" use but this extract is from a catalogue of Army Forms from the 1960s predating SSM.

There is a very large section on Repair Codes & procedures in EMER MANAGEMENT J 020 -J 029 if there was anything in particular I could look up. There are examples of G1084A & G1084D I could scan if you want to see if it looks familiar.

App2779.jpg

Hi Clive

That was quick :-)

Well the form was a g1084a and was a4 size that covered all the vehicle details the work carried out along with the parts used, i cannot remember what was on the back.

The booklet was apprently forward repair codes from woolwich, i originally thought it too was an AP but it seems not.

In this small booklet of only a couple pages in my mind but a dozen in daves :-), it had codes like 1A18 which would indicate adjust tappets.

Thats good information there and certainly jogged our memory, we had the g in the wrong place

Hope to get there soon :-)

Malc

Edited by spooky

Well well you are right, that is a large bit of nostalgia there.

The forms you have shown are the correct ones and the codes are exactly what we have been looking for.

I dont think you can beat the way it works hence our need to remember the codes as we want to impliment the same system here at work.

Thank you so much for this info, can i ask are we able to see the other codes somewhere :cool2:

Malc

Thank you so much for this info, can i ask are we able to see the other codes somewhere :cool2:

Malc I don't know of any online resource for those codes. It's not really a thing that there would be much demand for. I don't mind doing the odd page but there is too much to copy. Once scanned I crop it, change it B&W to reduce size, then reduce it by about 60% then upload it. So it would take me a few hours.

But it is delight to find someone appreciate it, usually when I start talking about EMERs peoples eyes glaze over. Although I hate to say this but the codes are not exciting in themselves except when of course there is an inspection or job card that needs translating.

We are arguing now about the letter A as in 1A00, i insisted it changed but dave thinks not

Yes it does change through most of the alphabet as does the first number. Then of course we get into the muddy waters of the 8 (usually digit) codes for equipment & these are different from the NSN & sometimes the same as the Asset Code but not always. Fun isn't it!

Clive,

The 1084 scan brings back memories ! In main workshops we did not have the part numbers entered up, as procedure was that the stores requesition forms ( forgotten that number now), were attached to the 1084's in the job folder. when job was done the repair details were entered in the equipments log book, forgotten that damned number as well (only remember the important details!), to save space, the operation codes were often entered in the book rather than a long saga, if it had been a large job or overhaul. Vehicle examiners wrote the 1084 up and entered it all in the log book on completion. I did do that from time to time, when standing in.

Just remebered something about those codes, the assesssors used them with stock repair times, so you might get them on say tappets for a B60, but actual time was for a Bedford 330 engine, a vast difference in operation time. The arguements we used to have!

Richard it sounds to me that you are no longer using this system. It could save you on paperwork & ink, the next time you bleed the clutch for a customer just tell them there is an 1A13 to pay for. :D

Someone offered me a pad of 1084's when I left saying they would be useful, sorry i did not have them for the pure novelty value ! So, you are right, no longer use the codes and you have just reminded me. Actually, the mechanic did not need to know them as the job requirement was written alongside, it was purely for assessing and entering up at the finish, as far as our establishment was concerned.

I left in 86 so i must have missed the changes :-)

But the first scans you had clive were spot on, i want to incorporate the 1084 (not in its entirety) into my engineers PDA, when it downlinks it will connect to a sql server db (unless our open source one is done).

By using the codes i intend to spot trends in equipment far more detailed than before.....my engineers will hate me, but my reports will be brill :-)

Clive how do i proceed to get a copy from you?

Robin I will of course require used bank notes of mixed denominations (but please no Euros) sufficient to fill two plain wrapped packages, one marked "Agricultural gift aid to the glorious Mother country" & the other in flamboyant seasonal paper marked "Here are your sweeties from Aunties Phylis & Agatha" to:

The Chief Librarian

EMER Towers

The Garden Path

Humber-on-the-mind

Sagadiev County

AE1 2SP

Robin I will of course require used bank notes of mixed denominations (but please no Euros) sufficient to fill two plain wrapped packages, one marked "Agricultural gift aid to the glorious Mother country" & the other in flamboyant seasonal paper marked "Here are your sweeties from Aunties Phylis & Agatha" to:

The Chief Librarian

EMER Towers

The Garden Path

Humber-on-the-mind

Sagadiev County

AE1 2SP

Funds sent