NATO Green

welshbayonetww2

Guys,

Need some help!

Bought the misses a '77series 3 FFR in reasonable nick, but needed a new paint job. Started to rub down the paint to find solid stuff.. Got to the 18th layer and and it was still flaking so decided to get down to the Bronze green. Found some interesting unit markings on the way through this time capsule, even a handpainted union jack. All fair enough you might say!

Now the problem. I bought some Nato green and Black to repaint the thing and the green turned out much darker than the paint I took off, and you know how women can be with colour matching !

So my Question is - Has the NATO green spec changed since '78 . If it has, does anyone know where I can get some original stuff to repaint it...

Answer needed to restore marital peace!!!

Doug

I think it has changed. I bought some recently and when painted it does look darker than the nato green from a few years back. It looks similar to the green you see new MANs etc, quite a bit darker than I would have liked. Trouble is its too much effort and cost to repaint so it will have to stay! I dont know which paint suppliers will work with the earlier colour or if indeed there has been a change in the spec.

Good luck trying to convince the other half.

There have been a few changes to Def Stan 00-23 IRR Requirements for Painting Military Equipment

Issue 1 17/10/80

Issue 2 31/12/98

Issue 3 30/5/01

Presumable a change in IRR pigment properties might also have some visual changes as well.

BTW unless you are a registered user you can no longer access Def Stans on line.

http://www.dstan.mod.uk/closure_notice.html

I would think it's just faded,

when we painted the vehicles in service, using exact same paint as before, the new one went on darker at first, then turned lighter when dried, but still darker than what was on the vehicle.

Just paint the whole vehicle for her, :D

Cheers

Shaun

Thanks for the replies.

With your help I managed to get " her indoors" to accept I hadn't got the wrong stuff.

I put the first coat on and already the colour is lightening up. Still much darker than the colour I took off though.

I'll put a second coat on this weekend and then she's agreed to let it weather over the winter and see how light it will get. See if the salted roads help fade it more. ( hopefully i won't have to repaint next year.)

Doug

I would think it's just faded,

when we painted the vehicles in service, using exact same paint as before, the new one went on darker at first, then turned lighter when dried, but still darker than what was on the vehicle.

Just paint the whole vehicle for her, :D

Cheers

Shaun