New "pig" (flying) owner

seoirsed

Welcome in, no warnings about green disease needed then.

I have had the disease for a long time. I got it 36 years ago. I have an AMGC M49 Fuel Tanker (US ARMY 1969). A 1939 BSA M20, Land Rover FFR, Nissan Patrol RD 28 (Military Police) and a few other bits and pieces

I know Clive is the expert on "Pigs" so I will be in contact with him for information. I will be looking for advise on the equipment to be carried in the vehicle when I decide what period in time I am going to represent so I hope you all will have plenty of information for me.

I will be looking for advise on the equipment to be carried in the vehicle when I decide what period in time I am going to represent so I hope you all will have plenty of information for me.

I have a CES for a Mk 2 also an unofficial CES document I found in between the spaced armour on mine. Yes you are right deciding on a particular time is the crucial point to how you present it.

Hi Clive

Good to make contact with you again. Thanks for all the help in the past. Now for a few questions. I would like to trace the history of the vehicle. Its reg is 32 BK 35 (as far as I aware). Can you advise where to write for info on the vehicle. It has no paperwork so I will need something to confirm its age.

32 BK 35

Serial No. 33235

FV1602

Engine No. 8809

Contract No. 6/V/2710

Delivered to 31st B Vehicle Depot Church Broughton

Receipt Voucher No. CBR/R/464

DIS: 10/6/55

Conversion to FFW Pig FV1612 sometime 1959-60

Conversion to Mk 2 sometime Sept 1972-June 1973

Noted as Flying on record card but not recorded on ledger

Struck Off: Vehicle Storage Depot NI 24/6/93 then cancelled

Struck Off: Birds(?) Comms(?) Whitaly(?) 6/10/94

Do you belong to any MV clubs Seoirse? Major clubs have a Verification Officer, I needed a letter from them & can show evidence of the chassis plate on the NS in front of the front wheel (not the body plate in the cab). Although most vehicles I have had were still inspected. But I don't know how the system works in your part of the world.

Hi Clive

I am a member of the MVT, Scottish MVC, Ulster MVC, MVC Ireland and probably some more I cannot remember.

As there is no paperwork with the "pig" I will need to source "official" proof of age. In the case of the Shorland I had a letter from Land rover verifying the chassie number and certifying the delivery date to SHORTS. By the way you gave me a copy of the land rover ledger. I can produce a bill of sale from Martin and he has a bill of sale from the previous owner. It would help if I had something official showing when it was released from Military Service. Can you advise the best place to write to.

Seoirse

• 2 weeks later...
32 BK 35

Serial No. 33235

FV1602

Engine No. 8809

Contract No. 6/V/2710

Delivered to 31st B Vehicle Depot Church Broughton

Receipt Voucher No. CBR/R/464

DIS: 10/6/55

Conversion to FFW Pig FV1612 sometime 1959-60

Conversion to Mk 2 sometime Sept 1972-June 1973

Noted as Flying on record card but not recorded on ledger

Struck Off: Vehicle Storage Depot NI 24/6/93 then cancelled

Struck Off: Birds(?) Comms(?) Whitaly(?) 6/10/94

Do you belong to any MV clubs Seoirse? Major clubs have a Verification Officer, I needed a letter from them & can show evidence of the chassis plate on the NS in front of the front wheel (not the body plate in the cab). Although most vehicles I have had were still inspected. But I don't know how the system works in your part of the world.

Hi Clive

The pig is now at its new home. I had a look at the engine for confirmation of the engine number and discovered that the current engine is a B60 No 1 Mk 5A Serial No 9831 with a date of manufacture 1984. Do you have any info on that engine

DSCF7543.jpg

Clive.

Q1 Where do I look for that.

I want to do a full service on the vehicle and the USER manual has not arrived yet.

Q2 What oils etc do I need for the job

Q3 What spark plugs do you suggest (I have read a lot on the forum but not sure what to use). What points do you suggest.

Any other suggestions welcome

DSCF5404a.jpg

The User Handbook will only give you quantities of fluids not their type as these may be subject to change from time to time, that info is in the Servicing Schedule.

For engine AND gearbox OMD110 = SAE30

For TF box, diffs & axles OEP220 = EP90

But I had a lot of trouble using genuine OEP220 in transfer box. It overheated would boil out through breather & force itself into the rear diff. This is a badly neglected area where many Humbers don't get the levels checked. I used Comma I think it was 85 EP oil & no overheating at all.

The lubrication nipples on the Tracta housing are for oil to be injected. They are not intended as greasing nipples. Oil should be injected to the point that it flows out through the holes when you remove the oil level plugs, they are NOT oil filler plugs.

When people do bother to do servicing it is very common to see evidence of grease injected into the lubricating nipples. The last published Servicing Schedule specifies OEP220 & indeed the procedure to follow is not new it was described in in User Handbook going back to the provisional User Handbook 1953.

Plugs? Well this is an old chestnut & no doubt others will come on to tell you their take on the subject. I use RSN13P they keep clean as I am using electronic ignition. Never adjust the gap as the platinum point will ping off as you do it or worse when it is in the engine. You can use RSN12Y (as in FFR Rovers) & you can adjust the gap particularly if you have electronic ignition. However I did do this & at times had unreliability problems so I went back to RSN13P although no doubt others will say the opposite.

Points? Get rid of them & fit a Joley electronic system. But I feel you should stick with the original coil.

There is some coverage here:

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/IGNITIONMATTERS.pdf

Edited by fv1609

Clive

Thanks for the info. Went out and had a look for the Engine Modification Sheet Holder. There is none nor is there a bracket for holding one. I did check another plate on the top of the engine. It said the engine was overhauled by 34 Base on the 13 Jun 90 and the liners were done. Is the info anywhere else

I need to replace the rubber brake pipes as one at the rear has broken. Can you give me the name of a supplier on your side of the pond and of course the type and number of pipes I will need. I want to replace all the rubber pipes because if one has burst then the rest may and I done need a vehicle without . That's all at the moment

I can supply a tube, mount & a record sheet to go inside. Although is not a particularly important thing to fuss with. That sheet contains details of all the EMER POWER Mods.

34 BW = Donnington

Hose, front inner, (total length 13 in), LV6/MT1/AU/LK/KL49404, new no.KL107804L, 2530-99-800-4217

Hose, front outer, (total length 15 in), LV6/MT1/AU/LK/KL49406, new no.KL107806L, 2530-99-800-4218

Hose, rear, (total length 17 in), LV6/MT1/AU/LK/KL49808, KL97716L, 2530-99-800-4221, MOD1132

AFAIK the only person doing repro hoses is:

http://www.champ-sparesukltd.com/index.html

Be aware that the fittings will match but the bore is smaller. So you wouldn’t want a different type on each side as that would give an imbalance in braking. But won’t matter if you replace them all, which is a good idea anyway. You may find it cheaper to get some made up locally.

I have identified the front ones match up to repro ones made for MGA cars, although these have smaller bores as well.

Hose, front inner, (total length 13 in) = SBR053

Hose, front outer, (total length 15 in) = SBR051

Edited by fv1609

Clive

Thanks for the help to date. I have ordered in a full set of brake hoses and will start on the brakes as soon as they arrive. I will have a look at the points and if needed change them. Later I will look at changing the system. Can you please give me a copy of the CES for a Mk 2 also a copy of the unofficial CES document you have. Can you also advise at what time the "solid" wings and perspex was fitted to my pig.

I have a lot of the military equipment for the vehicle although I think my body armour may be too early. I have about 10 sets of the early (M59 Pattern) body armour. I also have 20 of the Mk iv Turtle shell helmets with visor. Too early I think

I may need to change the exhaust pipe that goes into the manifold. I was under the vehicle today and I saw that it is fairly crumpled near the bend, that's why it may not be sitting square on the manifold. Do you know of anyone who has one.

I also have a leak with the Left piston for opening and closing the visor. i think it may be a seal. Is there a seal available or do I have to replace the piston.

Seoirse

The original screen EMER was issued in Jan 76 & the retaining chains May 76. Off hand I can't give you a date on the solid ones.

I think I may have a spare down pipe, but getting it to you will be a problem.

I no longer have any visor hydraulics. Is it the pump or the ram that is leaking? I can give you the part numbers for seals as appropriate.

Afraid scanning the CES will have to wait for now as I'm getting swamped with all sorts of requests coming in from all directions & have large backlog.

I'm not very up on uniforms & accoutrements, best thing is looking at period photos & if there is vehicle it might be possible to date if from the fittings on the vehicle.