What paint to use?

agripper

Have just started to repaint the BARV again. I have always used MOD paint on all my vehicles and found it only last at most about 2 years before it fades tomuch or starts to peal off. I have also tried to keep to MOD paint techniques so not to have a vehicle which looks more than it would have in service but would like to know what paints others have used to restore there pride and joy. I plan to repaint teh Sabre this year and was told to try and use a satin finish paint as it last longer. What have others done and how effect have your efforts been? :cool2:

I use paint from Crosbie Coatings (http://www.crosbie-casco.co.uk/crosbie/home.htm) - we buy Airspeed 251 quick dry matt finish. I've not found a paint which goes on as nicely and matches as well. This year I fitted a pair of NOS rear idlers to my Sabre and didn't paint them, but you couldn't tell. The service and price is also excellent, they will deliver to your door.

Chris

I've just spent this week re-painting my 109 with Marathon Coating Nato green satin.

I gave it a quick lick to wake up the tired paint work earlier in the year, but decided to do it properly ready for winter.

I have never rollere'd paint before, and I'm really impressed how well and easy it went on.

I preped it pretty well, that helped, and gave it 2 coats, dont do too much at a time, this paint dries very quickly, and 'picks up' if you over roll it giving a pitted rough surface, but I soon got the hang of it.

No idea how this stuff would spray, but it would need a lot of thinning I think.

Because it dries so quickly its difficult to paint by brush over large area's, atleast thats what I found anyway.

The interior was done with another batch months ago, the new batch matched perfectly, I'm pretty sure this paint will last a good few years too.

I got mine off eBay, but the company is:

Safegaurd coatings

26 Buckland rd

Penmill Trading estate

Yeovil

Somerset

BA215HA

01935 472817

I hope this is of some help

Terry

I've just spent this week re-painting my 109 with Marathon Coating Nato green satin.

I gave it a quick lick to wake up the tired paint work earlier in the year, but decided to do it properly ready for winter.

I have never rollere'd paint before, and I'm really impressed how well and easy it went on.

I preped it pretty well, that helped, and gave it 2 coats, dont do too much at a time, this paint dries very quickly, and 'picks up' if you over roll it giving a pitted rough surface, but I soon got the hang of it.

No idea how this stuff would spray, but it would need a lot of thinning I think.

Because it dries so quickly its difficult to paint by brush over large area's, atleast thats what I found anyway.

The interior was done with another batch months ago, the new batch matched perfectly, I'm pretty sure this paint will last a good few years too.

I got mine off eBay, but the company is:

Safegaurd coatings

26 Buckland rd

Penmill Trading estate

Yeovil

Somerset

BA215HA

01935 472817

I hope this is of some help

Terry

It's good to know there's someone who can supply that close to home (Ilchester).