"Sankey" type trailer Identification and parts, someone please?

Woah!

I said "Sankey" type trailer before anyone chews me out!

That is my problem, one of our trailers, purchased about 3 years ago, was dragged out yesterday from storage for our MV work night as a rush project for early september.

We have proven lights. Next we turned to the wheels and brakes.

We need to find out a seal number (or seal dimensions) for the hub. We have the bearing numbers off the old ones.

This trailer, as with the other one, lead a hard life at BATUS and has more than multiple coats of paint. It has also suffered the indiginity of being messed about by the seller. A lot of the identification is gone.

What I can tell you is this:-

-It has a fixed towing eye with back up plunger

-It has a dolly wheel at the front right but no jacking leg

-It has a drop down tailgate with opening plate for drop in water tank

-The rear legs stow across the trailer underneath.

-The brakes are rod actuated drum type

- Forgot to get tyre size or the full registration but think from what is barely visible it is a GT registration.

- The data plates have been abused with sand blasting and scrapers

what can anyone tell me about replacement data plates for it and what about the inner seal?

Regards

Robin

It sounds like a mk 1 widetrack 3/4 Ton trailer to me. I had 23GT45 (from memory) which was identical to the one you describe aside from the jockey wheel... And was actually made by Sankey too.

Chris

Edited by sirhc

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

I didn't get the info off the data plate but managed to get the bearings and we have re used the seal as it was quite good when cleaned up. We did the bearing pre-load by the Mk 1 mechanics "feel" and relocked the nuts on the lock tabs.

We have released all the brakes and made them glide on now with ease, what a wonderful system those brakes are, now everything if free again.

The lights all work, of a fashion, one light having a minor grounding issue that persists, main cause is tons of paint.

We freed up the rear jacking legs and have a few lanyards and pieces too fettle, but it is all legal for the road and safe, paint can wait for another day me thinks.

A licence plate will be sourced after registration with the Ministry of Transportation in the next day or so.

Here is a tacky cell phone picture for your perusal.

It was quite disconcerting driving it in the dark tonight that the forward facing white lights on the trailer really blind you of any view of the trailer rear lights on the ground to reverse in the dark, so we kept onwards in a forward direction until we found a spot in a farmers field to pull a U turn and rejoin the road.

The 101 pulling it having also been fettled tonight was pulling like a freight train and one didn't feel the unladen trailer except when slowing down.

Brilliant, another piece of kit in the collection serviceable and useful.

R

sankey shop.jpg

Edited by robin craig