Help!! Valentine off road!

John Pearson

I have a problem and wonder if anyone on the forum can help or advise? My Valentine has shed a tyre so I cannot drive it until I somehow fix it. The tyre had come loose from its rim which it should be bonded to but as yet it has not broken so tyre is still a circle. Several possible fixes, any offers or comments?

1. Anyone got any spare wheels or tyres with rims? The one that has come right off is a small one but all are showing signs of separation.

2. Can a new tyre be cast onto my rim (fork lift truck tyre company?) I am based in the West Midlands, England?

3. Can a new tyre be wound like a rubber bandage onto the rim then vulcanised?

4. Is there a way to re-glue the tyre onto the rim with some sort of 2 part setting rubber solution?

Final problem is that I am skint so cost is really an issue!!

Any comments anyone?

Thanks in advance.

John, Try the Cardus School, Middleton Cheney, Banbury Oxon, They have a cart in the grounds with what may be four Valentine small wheels.

Hope this helps.

Tobin

I have a problem and wonder if anyone on the forum can help or advise? My Valentine has shed a tyre so I cannot drive it until I somehow fix it. The tyre had come loose from its rim which it should be bonded to but as yet it has not broken so tyre is still a circle. Several possible fixes, any offers or comments?

1. Anyone got any spare wheels or tyres with rims? The one that has come right off is a small one but all are showing signs of separation.

2. Can a new tyre be cast onto my rim (fork lift truck tyre company?) I am based in the West Midlands, England?

4. Is there a way to re-glue the tyre onto the rim with some sort of 2 part setting rubber solution?

Any comments anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Any comments anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Hi John , the chaps on the forum that restored the WW1 Dennis fitted a metal band around their wheel to make the rubber a tighter fit would that be a possible solution ?

How much use does the Val get John? A mate of ours owns a loyd carrier and all of the return rollers have shed their rubber, its been like that for a few years and hasnt caused an issue, and he uses it fairly often. I mean, the tyre cant really go anywhere can it, its trapped in there. A Val does what, 15mph max? I don't really see it as much of an issue. But if you are really set on fixing it, have a yarn to your local forklift bloke, he should know where to get it sorted. But for a price ofcourse.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I will certainly be looking into all of them. So far as distance travelled, I have no real idea as the mileometer does not work but I use 30 to 50 gallons per year so I guess I do 20 to 40 miles each year, allowing for moving around, ticking over etc. The tyre is rounded in cross section and the track inside is rounded as well so if the tyre completely disintegrates (or ignites, it got very hot) the wheel rim will dig into the track or vice versa so fixing is really vital if I want to do more than drive it on and off low loaders!

Anyone any idea how much a forklift company would charge? Tyre is about 4 1/2 inch wide, 3 1/2 inch thick and either 20 or 24 inch diameter.

Anyone know if there are any left in Aus or NZ scrapyards?

Thanks to all again. The miniature steam people is an inspired suggestion, I would not have thought of that and with the different scales and wheel sizes, they must have a way of doing one or two off jobs to order. Also have a suggestion from NZ and I have been offered an ex range Valentine wheel that may do for a bit although the rubber is not too good, at least it is attached!

Thanks again. Looks like I will be back on the road before next season!