Isle of Wight 40s weekend

A few weeks ago I attended the 40s weekend on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. It's a cracking little show (getting bigger each year!) and includes a fine selection of vehicles, dioramas, Lindy hoppers, 40s style musical entertainment (nice uniformed lady variety), land girls, and this year a steam threshing set and 40s fairground rides. I particularly enjoy the fact that they are expanding the civilian exhibit side of things including a nice display of 1930s/40s cars. They also have a great beer tent, but I wouldn't know much about that...

I borrowed a half track to exhibit, and it was used as part of a little diorama along with a Dingo.

SAM_0396.jpg

SAM_0397.jpg

SAM_0398.jpg

SAM_0399.jpg

SAM_0400.jpg

SAM_0401.jpg

SAM_0402.jpg

SAM_0403.jpg

SAM_0404.jpg

SAM_0405.jpg

SAM_0406.jpg

SAM_0407.jpg

SAM_0408.jpg

SAM_0409.jpg

SAM_0410.jpg

SAM_0411.jpg

SAM_0412.jpg

SAM_0413.jpg

SAM_0414.jpg

SAM_0415.jpg

Tony, the event is sponsored so the vehicles don't pay the full ferry fare. Depending on the vehicle, some don't pay at all ;). Exocet, this would probably include a Dingo, you just need to enquire!

The post-war vehicles were nearly all owned by Islanders, and they were displayed separately, but beside the wartime stuff. I reckon it was about a 70/30 split. Those islanders displaying post war vehicles were dressed up in 40s uniform and taking part in dioramas (I know most of them, they all know me but thats another story!).

I also helped change the leading axle springs on an Austerity locomotive (ex army) while there, me also being a member of the railway and helping out in the loco dept. Kept me out of mischief during the day.

Edited by Grasshopper