Early (?) Sniper Smock

Enfield1940

Hi,

Today's find at Beltring; what I think is a fairly early Sniper Smock made by H.E. Textiles Ltd. Other than the constructional differences between the two types, it is almost identical to the 1977 type Para Smock I recently posted: the same style label, DPM cloth, Newey snaps and zip.

One difference of note is that it has a metric size (180/96) which presumably dates it to post-1982 - but by how much?

I haven't taken any pictures yet, but it is in excellent condition and cost £45. :)

Cheers,

Mark

Edit. It appears to be identical - except for the label - to the trials pattern Sniper Smock posted in this thread:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?24138-DPM-Para-Smock-DPM-Sniper-Smock-Green-Windproof-Smock&highlight=sniper

Edited by Enfield1940

Hi,

Today's find at Beltring; what I think is a fairly early Sniper Smock made by H.E. Textiles Ltd. Other than the constructional differences between the two types, it is almost identical to the 1977 type Para Smock I recently posted: the same style label, DPM cloth, Newey snaps and zip.

One difference of note is that it has a metric size (180/96) which presumably dates it to post-1982 - but by how much?

I haven't taken any pictures yet, but it is in excellent condition and cost £45. :)

Cheers,

Mark

Edit. It appears to be identical - except for the label - to the trials pattern Sniper Smock posted in this thread:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?24138-DPM-Para-Smock-DPM-Sniper-Smock-Green-Windproof-Smock&highlight=sniper

I think I saw that one, hanging up in a gun dealers tent ??? Looked nice, but I didn't buy as I have 3 of these now (2 early and 1 later pattern)..........

Sniper smock appeared around 1977-78 and originally supplied under the old numbered sizing system.......changed around the same time as the para smock (1982 ?) to metric sizing.........then around 1992 the design of the garment was altered, seeing changes to the lining and a plastic front zip fitted...