Registering vehicle with DVLA

Rick W

Question

Hello, yes me again. I sent off to DVLA what I thought was all the appropriate documentation to register my MV. Included in this budle of paperwork was the Key Card from the MOD showing vehicle number, engine number and MOD disposal date etc. They sent back all the paperwork (surprise, surprise) asking for the release form from the MOD so that they can register it. Surely the key card holds the info they want or is there another document that I dont know about?

Thanks in advance

7 answers to this question

They sent back all the paperwork (surprise, surprise) asking for the release form from the MOD so that they can register it. Surely the key card holds the info they want or is there another document that I dont know about?

Richard,

The Release Note shows that the vehicle has been officially released from Government ownership. I am not sure what your MV is, or its age, but if it were released many years ago and has gone through various ownerships, then a receipt from previous owner(s) may be acceptable if a release note is not available. It may be more wise to visit the local DVLA office and explain all this, rather than sending a bundle of papers. If there is an issue over its year of manufacture, an authenticity letter from the appropriate person in MVT or IMPS clubs would be required.

(Just seen another message from you, about your 1944 C8GS, it is unreasonable of DVLA to expect the release note to have survived this long. There is every chance that the vehicle has been register before after demob., in that case the Release Note would already have been submitted to the authorities of the time.)

Richard

Just about on-topic, as told me some 20 years ago by someone who was close to the events ...

24 years ago a Guards batallion landed on the Falklands and helped push the Argies back to the sea. When they overran an Argy command post, they liberated a very nice, pristine black Mercedes staff car. They managed to smuggle the Merc back to Chelsea Barracks, proposing that it become the Commanding Officer's unofficial runabout (by 1982 I think the issued Car, Staff, 2*4 (Morris 1800) had been replaced by the Car, Staff, 2*4 (Ford Cortina Mark 4)).

The CO instructed his driver to take the Merc round the corner to the Merc dealership in Park Lane and get it serviced. At 0900 the following day, he pulled up thereat. He made his request for a service and everything else, no doubt subsidised by the Commanding Officer's Personal Fund. He informed them that he'd be back to collect the vehicle at 1700 that day.

At 1700, CO's driver arrives back at the Merc dealership and asks about his black Mercedes staff car.

"Which black Mercedes staff car might that be?" asked the receptionist.

"The one I brought in for a service and everything this morning," replied the Corporal. "I've come to collect it as agreed."

"Oh you mean the black Mercedes staff car that, according to the chassis number, we sold to the Argentine Army?"

"Yes, that's the one."

"Ah, you see, we've done some checking ..." (can you tell what it is yet?) "... and Mercedes records show that the bankrupt Argentine regime defaulted on their payments for this staff car, so it's ours. Thanks for bringing it back for us. Goodbye."

there are a couple of ways of doing this,

with our MW i had all the paperwork sent from swansea & to save time posting it all i took a trip up to DVLA in worcester. i waited my turn & was told because i didn't have the release form & i wanted an age related plate then they would have to inspect the truck. in all fairness they offered me 10am the next day but as this was 2.30 in the afternoon i didn't have time to organise transport so we settled for the day after that.

russ borrowed a recovery truck & duly took it up there. the young girl had a quick look over it, checked the chassis number & engine number & went back inside to sort the paperwork out. 5 mins later we had a tax disc & they sent the log book in the post. it took less that 15 mins from start to finish.

alternativley contact the verification officer in the MVT / imps & they will arrange for a designated person from your local area to come to your house & fill in a basic form with chassis & engine number, year of manufacture & basic questions on the state of restoration.

this will then be sent back to the MVT verification officer who in turn forwards on to DVLA. ( most charge £10.00 for time & fuel costs paid to person who comes to your house)

the first option is fairly quick & the second one can take 3-4 weeks so it depends how urgent it is.

i have done quite a few verifications & some can take me an hour to driver there, do the biz & then an hour to drive home, which is why the charge is there.

a cup of tea is always welcome too.

which ever way you decide to go it is usually fairly painless except for an odd minority.

best of luck

Berni

I have recently purchased a Bedford TM from a military vehicle dealer. How do I go about registering the vehicle?

Will I need to go through the dreaded SVA test and what does it involve?

I'm assuming the vehicle will need some work before being presented for test and will be storing it off road in the meantime. All the info on the DVLA web-site points towards licensing as well ,i.e. presenting insurance documents and paying vehicle excise duty upon registration.

Will I have to present the vehicle for seperate SVA and MOT tests?

How much is it all likely to cost?

I will be ging along to the local DVLA office today to ask advice, but I would like to hear some experinced views form people who've been through or know the process.

Norman

Norman,

When the vehicle was sold off from the MoD it will have been issued with a Form 654 "application for disposal of a cast vehicle' which enables you to register it for the roads. Before attempting to register the vehicle you will need to have insurance and a valid MOT. Both of these can be done on the chassis number. You will then need to take these, the 654 and a filled out V55/4 to the local DVLA office. You will need to pay the registration fee which is around £50 and pay for 6 or 12 months road tax at the same time.

Chris