British Army No.1 Dress Tunic Cavalry Style....

oily

Hi all,

I am on the lookout for British Army, No.1 Dress Tunic/Jacket Cavalry style cut, (or better still a complete uniform, jacket and trousers).

I am proposing to get married whilst wearing the uniform of my fathers old regiment(s), 3rd the Kings Own Hussars/The Queens Own Hussars.:-)

I have managed to track down a pair of the correct trousers, with the twin yellow stripes on the legs, and I have either bulled-up Ammo boots, or patent George Boots. i have both cap badges. I'm currently watching a No.1 Dress cap, in eBay, which i believe is correct, (all red, except for peak).

I'm finding it hard to find out the colour of the collar facings of the jacket, nort a lot of info on the internet, about such details.... any one point me in the right direction?

Kind regards,

Oily, (or Matt;))

Hi all,

I am on the lookout for British Army, No.1 Dress Tunic/Jacket Cavalry style cut, (or better still a complete uniform, jacket and trousers).

I am proposing to get married whilst wearing the uniform of my fathers old regiment(s), 3rd the Kings Own Hussars/The Queens Own Hussars.:-)

I have managed to track down a pair of the correct trousers, with the twin yellow stripes on the legs, and I have either bulled-up Ammo boots, or patent George Boots. i have both cap badges. I'm currently watching a No.1 Dress cap, in eBay, which i believe is correct, (all red, except for peak).

I'm finding it hard to find out the colour of the collar facings of the jacket, nort a lot of info on the internet, about such details.... any one point me in the right direction?

Kind regards,

Oily, (or Matt;))

I see your Cavalry No 1 Dress and raise you a 1922 Cavalry Peace Time Uniform (of 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars).

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/album.php?albumid=401

(dunno if just posting a link to an album pic works - sure I am about to find out).

A word of warning.

Fiancee: I hope you aren't planning on getting married in that nasty brown uniform you wear.

Me: No

Faincee: And frankly the blue stuff you NCOs wear on canteen cowboy duty is no better.

Me: Not planning to wear that either.

Fiancee: You'll be wearing a suit then?

Me: No

Fiancee: Well what will you be wearing then?

Me: Not telling. Wait and see.

Cometh the day, I front up in PTU per the pic.

All the guests passed favourable comment on the PTU (a friend of the MIL offered a horse for me to whisk my new bride away to the reception).

Thirty years later and she STILL hasn't forgiven me for upstaging the bride.

So what did we have. It was all borrowed apart from a T shirt under the tunic to stop it itching, shreddies and socks. PTU and busby from the band of the 15/19H; George boots from my SSM; white gloves from an officer in the regiment ... Here's the good one as far as the OP is concerned: the swords were borrowed from the QOH (15/19H couldn't find me two identical cavalry sabres, so the RSM pulled some strings).

It was all old (so old that when you got up close you could see just how much stitching had come undone).

And obviously it was blue.

What was new? Well I suppose it was all new to me.

...so all of us who 'dress in uniform when portraying living history displays and our vehicles' are breaking the law? and how about re-enactors?.:undecided:

I'm on about a regiment that no longer exists!, and hasn't since 1995!:readbook:, also I won't be wearing any rank badges, just a No.1 Dress Uniform, as fancy-dress, at a PRIVATE function.....

Pretty sure that I'll be ok, and no jobs-worth copper will be troubling us:nut:

Oily,

Not wanting to spoil your wedding, but what is the point of wearing a uniform that is not you ie you are not a member of that unit.

That is what is bothering my mind

R

My father was in the 3rd The Kings Own Hussars, and later the Queens Own Hussars, and he'll be turning up at my wedding, obviously, so it'll be a nice suprise for him, and a little touch of respect for him, by way of saying thanks for getting me into all this military vehicle stuff in the 1st place.....

Don't worry, NOBODY will be spoiling my wedding, as only the invited guests know where and when it is.....;)

I thought I would mention it, as I have an ex RMP who lives near me that gets very "upset" when he sees people in uniform when they have no entitlement. At our last remembrance Parade in the town he went ballistic when some one was just wearing a combat jacket.

...-Thanks Bazz, he sounds like one of those 'jobsworth' types.

apparently I'm led to believe it IS illegal to dress as a modern-day member or the Police/Ambulance/Fire and Rescue Brigades, or a member of a current Army Regiment, unless for Film and T.V. work, or for re-enactor work (where relevant permission is usually granted freely). It is quite acceptable to where any uniform from a defunct regiment, for private use, as long as no medals are worn on the left, (unless legitamately earned), nor should any badges of rank be worn, officially, anyways.... So I think I'll be safe, -besides in 2012, the Police will be having a lot more important things to be concerned about!