Eager Beaver technical advice

I am helping someone out getting an Eager Beaver running again. It doesn't need anything major; just been standing for a few years.

We want to remove the short prop. shaft which goes between the gearbox and transfer box.

The sliding joint in the shaft doesn't appear to be badly rusty but the shaft wont close down in order to remove the ends off the studs. Do you have to drop the transfer box in order to get the shaft out? I have had quite a lot of pressure on it but thought I'd ask if there was any trick or tips any body could offer before we get the gas out and try some heat on the sliding collar. It seems a bit long winded to have to drop the tranfer box to get the shaft out but it has been mentioned that they weren't the most thoroughly thought out pieces of equipment the forces ever used. Any helpful comment would be greatly appreciated.

The parts book lists the length of the three prop shafts as 19 - 3/4" long, 22 - 3/4" long and 33 - 3/4" long.

This might give some indication whether the prop shaft is fully collapsed.

The Technical folder says to remove the Transfer gearbox disconnect the three propshafts as the first operation, then support the gearbox on a jack, etc... It makes no mention of tying up prop shaft until gearbox is dropped out, so it sounds like all three propshafts should come clear before the transfer gearbox is dropped down on a jack.

Refitting is reverse order so transfer gearbox should be refitted before replacing propshafts, no mentioin made of catching the short shaft on the studs as the gearbox is going back in....sounds like the joint isn't closing fully....

Edited by antarmike