Flathead Stripdown Help

ajmac

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have the special tool used on Ford Flathead V8's to drift the valve guid down into the valley to enable the retaining clip to be pulled out? It is effectivly a drift with a kink in it to clear the valve head.

There are actually 2 drifts, both do the same job. The one you mention is the older version, as in the workshop manual. Post war there was another that looked like a mushroom, but take care as there were 2 versions of the mushroom one - you want the bigger one for a V8, as the other is for the 8/10hp engine.

They are not that rare and you should find one from Belcher Engineering or O'Neils parts.

I was just about to say I had one, then reading the above post I have to say it's almost definitely for the little 8/10hp four cylinder sidevalves. I'll try and find it tomorrow and take a picture and some measurements. If it's no good to you it might as well go on eBay!

Glen.

Talking to a couple of guys today who rebuild flatheads for racing they say that the drift is a bit hit and miss, sadly their recomendation was to cut the valves in half and drift out the stems, then use a socket to drift out the guide into the valley. Apparently the later improved style valves with a cap and collets are a big improvement over the original mushroom headed type, the solid guides also reduce oil consumption considerably.