Cripple Cock Cider!

Rangie

Completely random question now, but considering the range and spread of personalities on the site, is there anyone from the Bristol area here??

I have a 1949 Bedford MLD, used to be owned in the late 70s/early 80s by John "Dixie" Dix, of Bristol.

He of the Dixie's Fine Cider Company and the Cripple Cock name before it was bought out....

The man was what we would describe as a "Hero"........ ie a cider-making, drunken-delivering, taking-a-wall-down-with-the-lorry-because-he-couldn't-aim-the-entry, worthy of a gentleman :D

Does anyone remember him?

Anyone related to him?

Any pictures of the lorry when it was in use?

A mental image given to me by a previous owner was that the lorry had a thatched canopy over the load-bed, it was painted green at the time, and Dixie would go round the Bristol area delivering his cider..... :nut:

What a man!

The history of the lorry is missing between being registered in Derbyshire in 1949 and Dixie applying for a new type V5 in 1980.

Any help appreciated! :-)

Alec.

I'm from Bristol, but this dates to a little before my time!

I've found this on Google... http://rockinghamforestcider.blogspot.com/2008/07/cider-jar-of-month_11.html

Sounds like Dixie's Fine Cider Company was going until the mid eighties, and the brand was then sold to Langdons in Hewish (near Weston and who are still trading).

Can't find anything about the lorry though.

I remember him only too well (I think!!!)

Myself and a mate were left in charge of his toddlers at a rally at Nottingham 18 or so years ago

The kids had chips and Ice cream me and my mate had Dixies finest Cripple Cock

Must have got an earbashing when Memsahib returned but cant remember it !!!!!!

The lorry did have a thatched roof and the Bedford was later changed for an MAN

Definately painted green

Hah, brilliant!

I was under the impression he was an elderly gentleman though, it may have been a relation!

I'll pass the message onto the aforementioned people, you never know!

Thanks,

Alec.

• 4 months later...

FANTASTIC!!!

PM sent......... :D

That's the old girl! It still has the odd headlamps and the crease in the front numberplate :laugh:

It's been part restored by 3 different people since the mid-80's, I'm going to finish it off and get it working for its retirement again....... :cool2:

So wonderful to get a picture of it from its 1979 to 1986 period... No clue about the 1949 to 1979 though!

Cheers,

Alec.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Hi, I'm a cousin of John. Haven't seen him since the funeral of his mum, my great aunt, in 2011. Last I heard he was in Spain running a small vineyard. He was legendary in the family, spending years in an old run down building near Flash in Derbyshire, making the Cripple Cock Cider in Bristol, breeding geese in remote parts of Ireland, marrying quite late in life, divorcing before heading south. Hope he's still well.