Trailer couiplings

utt61

There is a discussion going on on another forum (non-MV) which I belong to on the subject of the couplings used on Sankey-type 3/4 ton trailers, specifically which trailers have or had rotating coupling rings (and consequently the potential problem of bending the drawbar - or rear crossmember of the towing vehicle - under conditions of extremem articulation) and which have or had non-rotating rings (and hence require a rotating hook on the towing vehicle).

It was my understanding was that:-

- All the 'narrow track' trailers had rotating eyes

- All the 'wide track' trailers had non-rotating eyes

- All the current 'Wolf'/Penman style trailers have non-rotating eyes.

However I now understand that many of the late disposal narrow tracks had non-rotating eyes. If so, was this an official service modification, or were the last ones built like this?

I'm not sure whether these effect rotatabilty

EMER WHEELED VEHICLES U 207 Mod Instr No.13 June 1964

Certain 1/2 Ton trailers

"..removing drawbar assembly from trailer, dismantling & modifying draught eye pivot & bracket"

"Items effected: Drawbar assembly for FV2300 series trailers, Clas 1 & 2 (ACI 187/62 refers), except the first 8000 Mk 1 chassis (FV2301) which can be identified by the single relay brake lever operating through a slot in the drawbar."

EMER WHEELED VEHICLES U 207/8 Mod Instr No.13 Dec 1981

Certain 3/4 Ton trailers including FV2361, FV2363, FV2364, FV2366, FV8368 (possibly typo for FV2368)

"This instruction introduces a two piece drawbar eye assembly which is to be fitted on failure of existing one piece drawbar eye assembly."

EMER WHEELED VEHICLES U 209/8 Misc Instr No.3 Nov 1974

3/4 Ton trailers FV2360 series

"This instruction refers to the fitting of a redesigned draught eye assembly with increased shaft diameter which will be issued as a replacement when existing stocks have been exhausted."

Edited by fv1609

You will get differing definative / latest instructions on this , my understanding is that something must turn even on highway ( a rotating 3" draught eye) or the DB Light pintle FV987958 (rated 4.08 tonne).

So with a Sankey narrow-track FV2361 the pintle remaind locked upright , BUT possibly there is a need to rotate 360 degree on rough terrain (I do).

You can always ask Dixon-Bate (now Bradley Doublelock since late 2010 - who manuf. the fixed draught as used on wide-track) , so they are now the competent authority to answer this question for a wide-track pulled with a DB Light Pintle (that was not the case prior).

Something makes me think the Mk.1 Wide-track in fact had the rotating draught (as narrow-track ?? , I don't have this model to have a look). From memory - there is a upgrade to draught (this may have made them a Mk.2)So this is something to be aware of..

Wide-track trailers FV.2381 were manuf. by :-

1. Reynolds Boughton

2. Universal Engineering

3. Viking Trailers (I think Mk.2 only)

4. Arrow Construction Equip (they made the Mk.1 , IIRC some were up-graded to Mk.2 or Mk.3 & 2 struck out)

5. Parotow

6. King (a handfull or more)

===========

More of importance to me , there were 3 or 4 locking devices for the top latch of the pintle, long bent stainless split-pins, bent coat hanger hooks etc.

I would only set a DB Light pintle to rotate esp. on a public highway with the latest "Nappy Clip" on lanyard

Something makes me think the Mk.1 Wide-track in fact had the rotating draught (as narrow-track ?? , I don't have this model to have a look). From memory - there is a upgrade to draught (this may have made them a Mk.2)So this is something to be aware of..

Wide-track trailers FV.2381 were manuf. by :-

1. Reynolds Boughton

2. Universal Engineering

3. Viking Trailers (I think Mk.2 only)

4. Arrow Construction Equip (they made the Mk.1 , IIRC some were up-graded to Mk.2 or Mk.3 & 2 struck out)

5. Parotow

6. King (a handfull or more)

I had a Mk 1 Widetrack with a rotating eye. I also have a Mk 3 manufactured by Viking.

4.jpg