AEC tyre size

ianperrior

Question

5 answers to this question

This may be a foolish question too those who know, but here goes.

Can 16.00-20 tyres be fitted to 14.00-20 AEC Matador rims, or is a 16.00-20 tyre much larger?:red:

Only the Mk 3 Recovery Militant has 16:00 tyres fitted and they have wider 3 piece wheels to accommodate them. Even with the wider rims they are tight, but you might get them on with a lots and lots of swearing. Where are you based, I have a spare off the rim tyre you could try your rim on as a test fit.

Would have thought the bigger problem would be the reduction in turning circle due to the tyres hitting the chassis, the Matador hasn’t got the best turning circle in the world with standard tyres on. :D

Good way of upping the gearing tho. :D

Edited by Grumpy

This may be a foolish question too those who know, but here goes.

Can 16.00-20 tyres be fitted to 14.00-20 AEC Matador rims, or is a 16.00-20 tyre much larger?:red:

i once saw a aec militant mk 1 fitted with 1600x20 tyres the front axle used the mk 3 militant wheel rims but the rear axles used the original mk 1 milly rims which are the same as a matador . the militant mk3 rims might have a wider offset so this could give a better lock when fitted on the front .

Only the Mk 3 Recovery Militant has 16:00 tyres fitted and they have wider 3 piece wheels to accommodate them.

According to my info the mk 3 recovery has 10" wide 3 piece rims, same size as mk 1 and 2 so no probs fitting the tyres apart from possible body/chassis clearance.