KERR - Kinetic Ropes

Rangie

Question

I may be a bit old-school but I like to have a length of inch poly rope or a 2.5-tonne strop with me for general recovery and yanking stuff.......

Whats peoples experiences with Kinetic Ropes? I have heard as a rule not to use them for general towing or winching duties, but are there benefits to using them in specific recovery situations?

I have never as yet been beaten yet using a strop/rope, but was wondering about the benefits/downsides of using/investing in a KERR, or is it just an unnecessary extra in most situations....? :undecided:

Alec.

9 answers to this question

Sorry i have never used them or seen them in use so i cant comment. The two people who i learnt the most off in recovery both old timers who had served late in ww11 and later in recovery roles both dismissed them and said no steady sustained pull is what you need. To the piont when they came about i wasnt allowed to buy one and experiment. (my dad was one of the old timers). But i am still willing to learn if any body can show me any advantages to them

Pretty useful bit of kit if you are playing off road with armour, but potentialy lethal if used other than intended.

http://www.marlowropes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=154:kerrs&catid=55:towing-recovery&Itemid=164

Also have a look at the video on "Marlow TV" (second from last clip)

http://www.marlowropes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=2

Pretty useful bit of kit if you are playing off road with armour, but potentialy lethal if used other than intended.

http://www.marlowropes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=154:kerrs&catid=55:towing-recovery&Itemid=164

Also have a look at the video on "Marlow TV" (second from last clip)

http://www.marlowropes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=2

To use Shania Twains words "dont impress me none" but still open minded

Just to add my tuppence worth, when using one of these - the recovery points have to be proportionately much more secure than for direct pulls, since the force applied may be the same - subject to all the usuall ground reaction forces, load, incline etc, but it is over a much shorter duration. Also the pulling vehicle needs to come to a stop and apply brakes. Oh- I'd never do this in a canvas topped vehicle or with passengers in it for ballast just incase that front bumper or tow hook comes adrift.

Happy hooking.

Usfull bit of kit when used correctly, highligt used correctly.

Kinetic ropes will extend to maximum extension then obviously become a fixed tow rope, which still has a set load before it will fail. Once the casualty vehicle begins to move the stored energy will take over when that stored energy overcomes rolling resistance etc. The rope then does the pulling and the recovery vehicle can halt.

All very nice as long as you have the data and can work out the recovery calcs which i suspect most will not know how to do.

I have a basic tow strop in case of breakdown whereby the outer sleeve is the strength part and performs the towing function, and the inner bungy cords will compress and reduce the tow strop length if i were to overun the strop. Tends to soften the tug when your recovery tractor takes of on you! and stops everything draging along the roads. Stores nice and small and gives you a good final length of tow strop.

Regards

That makes sense. The anchor point would need to be proportionately stronger, it would be horrific to see a bumper or a hitch come flying off and impact someone......

As said, if used correctly its probably excellent, in the hands of idiots/uneducated folk, potentially lethal.

Hmm, think I'll continue with the strop for now...........