Tent marking

kpu121265

As we are starting to sort stuff out for this season, and new on the agenda is pressing the generator, 8mm news reel film and projector into service in one of the bigs tents, i have finally got round to opening out the British army marquee i have had about for a while. It needs a few repairs, but for 70 year old dated canvas it's in good condition (just need to source some replacement poles). Checking it over i found the attached marking on the outer side of one of the roof sections. I have seen similar markings on kits bags being loaded prior to the Normandy landings. Does anyone out there know what it means? It is a pale blue strip over a green stripe. The stripes are probably 2" high and about 10" long.

Thanks

Ken

marqueemarking.JPG

Possibly used to identify individual units, as you say you've seen similar markings on kit bags. The same method is still used in todays Army ie, different colours and shapes identifying different Coy/Sqn etc. We paint these markings on our Bergans and grips and sometimes cut shapes out of wood or plastic then paint them before tying them on with string, we then write our zap numbers on them to indentify an individual within that Coy/Sqn etc.

Thankyou for that. I should have been clearer with the question. I am aware of the practice of marking 'kit' in such a way, i have two kits bags in the collection with two or three coloured stripes on them. What i was really was looking for (and didn't ask the question) is, does anyone know which unit(s) are identified by pale blue over almost bronze green?

Thanks

Ken

• 7 months later...

TENT REPAIRS I HEAR YOU SAY!! lol....now I know a great Army company called 'Hamiltons Textiles' they are based in Gibraltar Barracks, Camberley, Surry. They have just reparied 2 of my 9x9 tents. The staff are very good and couldn't do enough for me. Give them a call on:- 01252 863036 and say Trevor the barber recommended you to them, they will proberly laugh, as I said i'm going on here messaging guys like yourself needing help with tents. They are the best price also. All the best Trevor.

As we are starting to sort stuff out for this season, and new on the agenda is pressing the generator, 8mm news reel film and projector into service in one of the bigs tents, i have finally got round to opening out the British army marquee i have had about for a while. It needs a few repairs, but for 70 year old dated canvas it's in good condition (just need to source some replacement poles). Checking it over i found the attached marking on the outer side of one of the roof sections. I have seen similar markings on kits bags being loaded prior to the Normandy landings. Does anyone out there know what it means? It is a pale blue strip over a green stripe. The stripes are probably 2" high and about 10" long.

Thanks

Ken[ATTACH=CONFIG]40233[/ATTACH]