Windows in canvas hoods

Ivor Ramsden

Question

I've been pondering on the design of the hood for the Morris CDSW LAA Tractor and have got myself very puzzled with the windows. Photo 1 shows windows in the hood over the rear cab but photo 2 reveals that these "windows" don't transmit any light. I am very puzzled. It's not just the angle of the second photo; none of my CDSW pictures show light coming through the windows. 2 questions:

What are the "windows" made of? Wire gauze? Celluloid? In most in-service photos the windows aren't as bright as I would expect celluloid to be, which is why I suspect brass gauze which tarnishes.

Do they have a curtain inside?

Forgive the pun, but can anyone shed any light?

Hood 1.jpg

Hood 2.jpg

3 answers to this question

Interesting comments vis a vis the copper gauze as i thought this was a signals thing.

Re the internals, i would imagine that they have internal roll down curtains, the PU tilt has lots of windows all of which have roll down or across curtains, across as in the roof panels.

Certainly one of your photo,s has no indication of the window yet you would expect to see something, ergo roll down cover.

regards

tim

If they're anything like the penthouses / tilts for 1950's vehicles I'd guess the 'windows' would be a piece of light undyed canvas, to let some light in rather than for visibility. On the '50s vehicles there was a roll down canvas flap to act as a curtain / blind.

See the photos in this thread: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?22324-Penthouse-shelter-for-Commer-Q4&p=242427#post242427