My Kit & Accessories Collection

Jessie The Jeep

Following on from the 'some of what I have' thread, I felt inspired to share my ( and dads ) small collection of military equipment, and while there's not a gun amongst them, they were no less important in taking the war to the enemy all around the world.

My small, but growing collection, is focused on the activities of the US Army Air Forces, particularly the 8th AF in Europe. Dad was in the Merchant Navy for 15 years, first sailing when he was just 17. He left to settle down at the rank of 1st officer, and due to this interest in navigation, his part of the collection is based around AAF Navigation Equipment.

While not really equipment, an accessory that generally goes everywhere we display is my 48 Star US flag. While visiting many events, I have been surprised to see people with WW2 equipment flying a 50 star flag.

flag.gif

The first two items are reproduction flying jackets. On the left is a Summer Issue A-2 Goatskin leather, mahogany finish jacket, made by Eastman Leather Clothing. While not official uniform, it was regularly worn off base and on leave. They are often seen with squadron and group patches sewn to the front, and the aircraft artwork often reproduced on the back. The mission markers on the back are for B-17 flights I have made.

To the right is the Winter Issue B-3 fleece lined jacket. This was lined with 1 1/4 inch of fleece to help keep out the sub-zero temperatures of high altitude flight. This example is made by Aero Leather Clothing. The 'crusher' cap is from Garcia Aviation. 'Crushers' had the wire reinforcing band removed so the hat side would fold down while wearing headphones. This crushed look soon became the mark of the combat flyer.

a_A2_jacket.jpgb_B3_jacket1.jpg

More shortly.....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next items I have are two pairs of flyer trousers, one for me and one for Lynne. They are the A-11 intermediate trousers. Originally I was looking for the leather/fleece trousers, but they were expensive and not very flexible for leaping in and out of jeeps. The A-11's are Alpaca lined material, very warm and flexible. While still quite heavy, they allow much more movement than the heavy leather. One pair is missing its braces/suspenders, but their size is ok for Lynne without them. However, if anyone has the correct pair of suspenders, please let me know.

f_A11_trousers.jpg

As my kit started to pile up, I needed something to carry them in, and found this aircrew kit bag on Ebay. It is about 2 feet long, 1 foot wide and 18 inches high, and as I've yet to fill it full, it seems to be bottomless.

m_A6505-1_kitbag.jpg

There were different styles of chest parachute and harness developed across the war. This is a later style A-4 Chest 'chute. Earlier versions had snap hooks that clipped to 'D' rings on the chest of the harness. The trouble with this design is that the wearer was left hanging tipped to the rear, once the 'chute had opened. This angle made safe landings difficult.

The 'chute fixings were redesigned, along with the harness. This time the 'chute had the 'D' rings, and long straps on the harness hung from the shoulder position down the front to the chest position. This allowed the 'chute to be attached on the chest position but once deployed, the wearer was left hanging tilted slightly forwards enabling a safe landing to be made.

k_A4_chute.jpg

The harness isn't completely original, but made from and original backpad and hardwear with new webbing. Since I'm not actually going to jump with it, I had neither the money or interest in paying £800+ for completely original 'harness ( perhaps when my numbers come up )

j_QAC_harness.jpg

Incidentally, Lynne is wearing an A-2 flying jacket, and clothing to represent a Womens Airforce Service Pilot ( WASP ) which in actual fact didn't have any official uniform as it was not part of the services. Some women purchased uniforms out of their own pocket. Their flying clothing started out being mens small sizes, but developed into their own tailored kit being very similar to male kit, but with the female shape and sizes taken into consideration.

WASP's had their origins in two different organisations employing female civilian pilots. The Women's Auxilary Ferrying Squadron ( WAFS ) was only open to fully qualified pilots with commercial licenses and at least 500 flying hours. They had to be US citizens between 21 and 35 and a high school graduate. They started ferrying training and liasion aircraft, but as they proved their ability, soon moved on to larger transports, fighters and bombers.

The Women's Flying Training Program ( WFTP ) was established in September 1942 under the command of Miss Jacqueline Cochran to train female pilots for ferrying aircraft to free up men for combat duty. By mid 1943, the WAFS was merged with the WFTP and became known as the WASP's. In addition to ferrying duties, WASP's also towed targets for aerial gunnery practice, flew meterological flights, anti-aircraft and searchlight training, smoke laying and simulated bomb dropping for troop training.

By mid 1944, male pilots were returning from tours and the need for the female pilots reduced. On 20th December 1944, the WASP's were disbanded abruptly, putting 916 WASP's out of work. 37 lost their lives while a further 36 were injured in air accidents.

This medal display represents those awarded to members of the 100th Bomb Group. Only the Bronze Star was awarded for non-flying action, but as it came in a set with two of the others, it was included in the display. The medals are from top left to bottom right.....

POW Medal, Silver Star, Europe-Africa-Middle East Medal,

Distinguished Unit Citation,

WW2 Victory Medal, Distinguished Service Cross, Purple Heart,

Air Medal, Bronze Star, Distinguished Flying Cross

p_medals.jpg

This leather bound photo album contains reprints from the archives of the 100th Bomb Group at the Thorpe Abbotts Museum. The museum staff allowed me to spend a day scanning their archives which show every aspect of life on a Heavy Bomber base. The photos have been arranged with captions written in the present tense, as if written at the time of the bases operations. It has created much interest at events we have attended.

album1.jpg

album2.jpg

Now for some of Dads stuff. He got three original air maps from ebay. One particularly is quite fragile, with the paper map separating from the hessian/silk type backing. Colour copies were made for display purposes keeping the originals for further copies.

Amiens Mons

q_map_amiens_mons.jpg

Lille Ghent

q_map_lille_ghent.jpg

Market Garden

q_map_market_garden.jpg

Donated to us by Kim Roland of the 100th BG Foundation, these two flight calculators were used by his dad, John Henry Rowland, in the 418th BS, 100th Bomb Group, flying from Thorpe Abbotts in 1944 and completing 29 missions during which time he became a PFF crew AN/APS-15 Radar operator.

r_flight_calculators.jpg

The following is a brief history of J Rowland written by Kim, which is a nice piece of history to go along with the calculators.

Dad enlisted in 1943, and was originally in the 82nd Airborne, training for the future invasion. They called him out of training because he had a Tech School degree. They told him he was an excellent candidate for officers training. So he took them up on it and went to Alabama and was trained as a Navigator in Selma.

He arrived at Thorpe Abbots in 1944, and was assigned originally to the 418th Squadron. Shortly after that he was sent to Bovington to learn the new radar systems. He did 29 missions, but was never assigned to a specific crew. He was just a floater.......flying with whoever was the lead or PFF plane because he was an expert with the AN/APS-15 radar system.

After the war he decided to stay in, but was reduced to enlisted status. He retired in 1964 as a Senior Master Sergeant and was teaching computers at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado. He went to some of the first schools in the Air Force in computers in the 1950's in upstate New York with IBM. After that, he traveled all over the world teaching computers to other Air Force personnel.

In 1964, he was awarded the highest peace time award from the Air Force for writing the first computer programs that would handle all the payroll for the Air Force.

He raised five children,....... four boys and a girl.

One of the prominent memories I had growing up was Dad taking me and my three brothers to the base every two weeks for a haircut. He would drop us off at the barber shop, then go to the club for a few beers. Often times, (in the 1960's) on the way home, he would recite the same phrase:

"I hate this chicken-**** Air Force!, It's just a bunch of **** college kids! I wish I was a real man back in the Airborne again!"

So three of us went Airborne, and between four sons we did 6 tours in Vietnam. My older brother got a Distinguished Service Cross, and we got over six Purple Hearts between us. My little sister even did four years in the Navy. We were a military family.....all the way.

During those Vietnam years, we were all caught up in our own turmoil, and we never realized that our Dad did more in war than we ever did.....we never knew what he did till many years later.

This is an original air force navigators brief case. The cotton stitching was so old it turned to powder at the slightest tug. Its was carefully re-stitched to allow display without falling apart.

navcase.jpg

The Navigators Information File is an in depth instruction manual to all aspects of the Navigators duties. This not only includes navigation information such as operation of a sextant, but also emergency bail out and ditching proceedures amongst other things.

nav_file.jpg

AN5851-1 A-14 Sextant. Bought in January '06, this Sextant is almost perfect and fully functioning. A horizon prism permits its use as a marine sextant. It came complete with its original carrying case. While the operation is slightly different to a standard marine sextant, dad soon figured out how to operate it, and this was confirmed once a sextant manual and navigators information file were found in the USA.

sextant2.jpg

sextant1.jpg

Back to my items again, and the last of my kit to share ( until Ebay calls once more! ).

A Magnifying Stereoscope. New for spring '06 is this mint condition target analysis Magnifying Stereoscope, manufactured by Fairchild. It took until August to find a stereo target photo. The picture is of Dusseldorf. With the two photos aligned correctly, the streets and buildings suddenly stand out in three dimensions making analysis of building construction much easier. This information was essential prior to a mission, as it dictated the correct type of fuse to be used against the target. Poor fusing choice could result in superficial damage to a factory without destroying the machinery contained inside.

stereo1.jpgstereo2.jpg

The three dimensional image was also invaluable in assessing the damage to the target after a raid.

stereo_photo.jpg

Well that's me done. Please start your own threads showing your own kit and equipment.

Steve

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm not opposed to weapons, and a 50 cal and recoil mount from a plane would be great; but a little out of my pocket just now!

A local guy stopped me at an event to say he had a throat microphone somewhere in his attic, would I like it. A couple of events later, I bumped into him again and he gave it to me! Need to get a better picture.

throatmic.jpg

To go with the mic, I recently got a SW-141-V Microphone switch, complete with leads and necklace.

mic_switch1.jpg

Purchased late in 2005 is this HB-7 Headset, with ANB-H-1 H Earphone Receivers, and the PL-354 Plug. The rubber ear piece cups are surprisingly good at blocking out exterior sound.

hb7a.jpg

hb7b.jpg

Steve

Steve, just out of interest do you show this kit off at shows etc. or do you keep it at home dust free :-D Just wondering cos it would be a shame to keep it under wraps and not tell people what these are and how they were used etc

When ever possible ( good weather or indoor display ) we have a table on which to display it all. I see no point in keeping it all in a drawer, gathering dust. It's surprising how many people stop and look though the whole photo album and take time to look at the smallest display items; which makes it worthwhile.

I when I started taking it places, I wondered whether there really would be interest, or whether everyone would pass me by to see the 'big guns', but it's been a pleasant surprise.

Steve