mercury cycle (barrack bike)

ashley

Hi all,

i have recently been offered a British barrack cycle i have not seen it yet, made by Mercury is apparntly O.D / green in colour and has the bag on the crossbar, but no rifle clips and was used post war (1947-1950`s) as an issue item for getting around camp.

The cycle is apparently ready to ride away and is no where near the price of the wartime cycles and para cycles.

Any one heard of these ? and have any been offered for sale recently ??

cheers

Ashley

Well funnily enough there was one similar to yours offered for sale at Plymouth Auction Rooms last sale which was on wednesday last week!! It was painted black but was complete with panniers, bag mounted inside the frame and clips on top of the cross bar which held the original tyre pump!! Ill have a look later to see if theres a pic.

We used yo have a baarack bike to get around camp when i was in the army..it was an old mountain bike and was probably the most nicked bike in history!! Was often to be found strung up in the rafters of the MT hanger!!

Well funnily enough there was one similar to yours offered for sale at Plymouth Auction Rooms last sale which was on wednesday last week!! It was painted black but was complete with panniers, bag mounted inside the frame and clips on top of the cross bar which held the original tyre pump!! Ill have a look later to see if theres a pic.

We used yo have a baarack bike to get around camp when i was in the army..it was an old mountain bike and was probably the most nicked bike in history!! Was often to be found strung up in the rafters of the MT hanger!!

Hi,

thanks any leads would be helpfull, i tried a search on the but found nothing of consequence this one has been local for at least 10 years and i am seriously considering it.

Ashley

Normal non-airborne bicycles are not normally that expensive though I note someone is asking a silly price for one on Milweb at the moment.

The problem as always everyone then thinks their bicycle is worth the same price and things go crazy.

If you want a correct war-time British pattern infantry bike go for a BSA with 28" wheels.

Thanks for the links lee, i have not seen the bike yet but it matches the description.

REME 245 at present i cannot justify the price of a wartime example but maybe one day......

regards all.

Ashley

I went to an Auction in Reading yesterday (Sat 13th Nov) and there was a Murcury Army Bike there. The Auction was for vintage bicycle bits and vintage lamps. The Bike went for £100 and it needed cleaning up and new tyres.

I went to an Auction in Reading yesterday (Sat 13th Nov) and there was a Murcury Army Bike there. The Auction was for vintage bicycle bits and vintage lamps. The Bike went for £100 and it needed cleaning up and new tyres.

Thanks for that Robert this one is restored, air in tyres for just slightly less than that.

Enigma depends if i canfforg a pair of dust goggles in matching OD.

Ashley