World War 1 Vehicles

Tim Miles

I am currenty try to find information about my grandfather's First World War Sevice. I know he spent time at Kempton Park and was in the Army Service Corps Motor Transport division and was a voluntary Reserve. My father told me many years ago that his father drove military vehicles during the war, including ambulances. I am interested to know what military vehicles were likely to be at Kempton Park. I have a couple of pictures of Kempton Park in 1918 and one shows a FWD lorry, which I think is from the USA. Any information would be gratefully received.

Hi Tim

Yes FWD was made in the USA and there are lots of surviving FWD photos here:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?13046-FWD-Model-B-Gallery

Kempton Park was used for storing vehicles returned from France at the end of the war. There were thousands of them there of many different types. If you would like to post the photos up then we will all race each other to identify them first.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Shown clearly in photo 3 are the protective covers for the driver and passenger. What was this fabric?

I assume its a lighter weight calico rather than a canvas. Also the gloss to it would indicate an oiled surface as a water proofing.

Doug