Anyone with a WWII vehicle live near Leicester?

Joris

I just got off the phone with Arnhem veteran Norman, who stayed with us during the 60th commemoraion of the battle for Arnhem. Whilst talking to him I thought it would be nice if he could ride in a WWII vehicle once more. His health is too poor to come over to Arnhem again (he had a heartattack while staying with us) but it would be a great gift.

Can anybody help me out and take him for a drive? It doesn't have to be tomorrow or next week just sometime in the near future would be great.

Thanks a lot, it would mean a lot to me.

Regards,

Joris

Joris,

I am an MVT member and although I have no WW2 vehicles and live in London, it may be possible for someone from the East Midlands Area of the MVT to help.

The new Area Secretary is Simon King but I do not know his number. He took over from Bob Fleming who may be contacted at Falcon House, Leverton Road, Sturton le Steeple, Retford, DN22 9HE. So drop Bob a line and ask, as I know from experience that the chance to do things can sometimes be gone for ever.

Two years ago the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden painted their Bucker Bu 131 bi-plane in the colours & markings of a Luftwaffe trainer stolen by two Frenchmen and flown to Christchurch in 1941. Through a friend in France I knew the pilot of the original plane was still alive so I contacted Old Warden to get the Frenchman to come to the UK as an honoured guest. Sad to say that with a lot of dithering it took about a year to get any interest, by which time the Frenchman had died!

Go for it and make that veterans day before it's too late!

I know someone near me who is very close to Leicester (Desford) who has a Dodge 4x4, either the WC51 or 52 i'm not sure, the person that owns it is a US Paratrooper re-enactor. I could contact him and see if he'd be up for it, then pass him on to you if that'd be any use? There's a collection of military vehicles in Leicestershire, not exactly sure what they have but it includes a Jagdpanther, Sherman and Universal Carrier as well.

Cheers, Rob

Hi Guy's if there is some where we could meet up I'm up for a trip over to your neck of the woods,I can bring 2 GMC's and a Dodge WC51,could get a few Vets in them for a drive around.

I'm in Solihull

Are you guys going to the Atherstone event the last Saturday in November.I've been asked by the Lord Mayor of North Warwicks to turn up with some Military kit!!.

Regards

Steve

Are you guys going to the Atherstone event the last Saturday in November.I've been asked by the Lord Mayor of North Warwicks to turn up with some Military kit!!.

Regards

Steve

Might do, it's only a quick run up the A5 from me, is there something going on that weekend then?

Might do, it's only a quick run up the A5 from me, is there something going on that weekend then?

I haven't got all the details yet but It's in the middle of Atherstone ,last Saturday in November and they have agreed to pay our fuel costs :-D :-D :-D

As soon as I know more then I'll let you know.

regards

Steve

Hi Guy's if there is some where we could meet up I'm up for a trip over to your neck of the woods,I can bring 2 GMC's and a Dodge WC51,could get a few Vets in them for a drive around.

I'm in Solihull

Regards

Steve

Good idea 8-). Quite happy to meet in the Jeep and give a few lifts, have a jaunt around :-D

Tim V