G200 M24 Chaffee Project

hummermark

Hi,

I thought I would start a thread for one of my current projects. This vehicle was driven to where is was and then parked for many of years, unfortunately all of the hull drain plugs and plates were all water tight so when I got it the engines were under water and it was engine level throughout the hull!

The transmission and front final drive although full of water there was no rusting of any of the insides, even the bearing surfaces were clean and good. The parts most affected by the rust were the external components of the engine, oil filter clamps, generator clamps and generator had rotted away.

The only internal damage of the engineis the valve seats (8 of which had rotted away) I could not put valve seats in and the water jacket around that area was too thin to machine and make a seat (so the engine machining firm told me,if anyone knows different then please let me know). All seats have now been built up with cast iron welding and machined to do this the engine had to be completely stipped as it goes into an oven for 8 hours at 600 degrees. I left the white metal bearingsfor the cam shaft in as I have new ones - the bearing surface melted! For 8 seats it was £750.

I obtained a gasket set for the hydromatic gearboxes from a 1946 Cadillac as most of the gaskets are similar shaped but the hole spacings are different. So I am getting a firm to make gaskets suitable for this gearbox. I will be getting 10 of each so if anyone needs them I will have them in stock.

I have also got the input and output seals in quantity.

Mark

101_0265.jpg

101_0462.jpg

101_0468.jpg

101_0267.jpg

nice project if you need some part worn track let me know they are about 75 to 80% condition at a reasonable price

Iain

Yes very interested in the tracks as I don't think that the ones on it will last very long! Let me know how much...

I don't suppose that you have/know of anyone with a Hellcat hub with the Chaffee sprocket as I have a firm that will cast them but I need a pattern?

Thanks,

Mark

Pictures of the Chaffee hydromatic gearbox not in too grim condition having been submerged in water! Breakbands appear to be not worn compared to new ones - the transmission just needed complete disassembly to get water out of it like all of the servo cylinders and valve block.

I did buy a M5 Stuart rear transmission oil pump - it looks very similar to the M24 but there are differences in the oil pump and the porting casting. I have been told that they are different but in what ways I do not know, if anyone else can tell me the differences between the M24 and Stuart gearboxes it would be interesting to know.

This weekend I took some dismantled M18 Hellcat track links (the WW2 metal tracks) to a company to get a quote on rebushing of all of the links and new pins. I will know more on price at the end of November when they get back tome.

Mark

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Yes very interested in the tracks as I don't think that the ones on it will last very long! Let me know how much...

I don't suppose that you have/know of anyone with a Hellcat hub with the Chaffee sprocket as I have a firm that will cast them but I need a pattern?

Thanks,

Mark

morning mark p.m sent

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Just looking over some previous threads and realised that I didn't reply to you as I did not receive your PM? What parts are you looking for for your M24 Chaffee? I noticed that you were selling the KLR 250 plate on eBay, do you know of a military KLR 650 petrol for sale in the USA as I am looking for one to buy?

I have got a few more updated pictures of the Chaffee project which I will hopefully upload over the weekend. There hasn't been much progress as I am concentrating on the Achilles for the moment. Have you got any pictures of your Chaffee as it is, as I would be very interested in having a look.

Regards,

Mark

Any more pictures? Love to see what you have going on. I am finnaly going to start work on mine. I am still missing quite a few parts. Will PM you to see what extras or other parts you may have or I may have to help you out.

• 10 years later...