Winterised Land Rover Hot Water Plumbing Assistance

Rover8FFR

Dear All

The Hot water route from the thermostat housing is missing from my wintersied lightweight and I would like to establish which fitting is would have had.

Presently the additional block and outlet is missing but the bolt length suggests it was there?

I have a long section of tubing that would have connected to the arctic heater and it has a slow sweeping bend that would route up to the missing part!

I attach 2 images copied from Disco Dave's site (images may have been from Fulltilt originally?) to illustrate the parts in question.

I also attach an image of my engine bay with area described above.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Thanks

WINTERISED TOP HOSE CLAMP FOR THERMOSTAT HOUSING.jpg

WINTERISED TOP HOSE CLAMP FOR THERMOSTAT HOUSING 2.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

Years ago I used to strip out and scrap plenty of these artic heater units, no one wanted a lightweight then with all that heater clutter, there was a special block with water outlet which replaced the original thermostat housing as in your bottom pic ,the other pipe went to a threaded pipe screwed into the side of the block above the starter. All the units I removed were made by an engineering company in Aldershot, nothing made by Landrover

Edited by Nick Johns

Thanks Nick. Makes sense and the return pipe is connected into the side of the block above the starter as you say......

I guess the special block that replaces the standard thermostat housing are as rare as hens teeth now?????

It would be quite easy to remake one in a lathe, fit the pipe outlet, the originals were very simply made

Edited by Nick Johns

Nick

It's not the rear threaded part I need but the extended/ modified thermostat housing at the front that is fed from the radiator top hose connection.

Surely that would be better as a cast metal part due to heat up between discimilar metals and distortion/ tolerance issues???? Just a suggestion as I am not a metalogist.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Wayne. Having a bit of a sort out in the week and found a gate valve, length new wrapped pipe and a bracket I think the gate valve fits in, understand this valve/bracket fit on floor panel/tunnel to turn on/off water to heat exchanger/blower. If I dig out tomorrow will take pic. if any use (cost of postage only, but on valve/ bracket only. Pipe may make it too costly)

Wont even mention what I sold complete kit for :cry::cry:, Never used. Just found in Mark Cooks book pic. of parts. pg. 119

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wayne - didn't quite pick up if you still have a thermostat housing AND a space with the long bolts... but from what I remember of my winterised LtWt, was that the standard thermostat housing was retained and fitted to the top of the fitting you are looking for, which was in effect an open 'T', always taking priority of block coolant, subject to the gate valve behind the passengers right ankle, being open... up untill the 'stat opened, then sharing coolant with the radiator. Wish I still had my set up but I went the V8 route instead...

Wayne - didn't quite pick up if you still have a thermostat housing AND a space with the long bolts... but from what I remember of my winterised LtWt, was that the standard thermostat housing was retained and fitted to the top of the fitting you are looking for, which was in effect an open 'T', always taking priority of block coolant, subject to the gate valve behind the passengers right ankle, being open... up untill the 'stat opened, then sharing coolant with the radiator. Wish I still had my set up but I went the V8 route instead...

I have the thermostat housing...It was the bypas open T that I was enquiring about.

Thanks for input though. :-D