My Former WC51 "Flying Control Dodge" - A New Chapter

Jessie The Jeep

A battle was held on the beach each day at noon. I didn't see the Saturday battle, but the last of the mist was still clearing at the time, so it wouldn't have been great for photos. I believe the Germans were attacking on Saturday.

blyth_41.jpg

On Sunday, the sky was clear and it was the turn of the British to storm the beach and carry the fight into the dunes to capture the Germans. There were also firing demonstrations from some of the re-enactor groups.

blyth_43.jpg

The event finished at 4pm, but I'd already got my tent and camping gear packed into the trailer by then. This allowed a fairly quick getaway for the hour trip home. It then took a couple of hours to get the Jeep out, empty the Dodge and trailer and put the trailer away, put the Jeep away, take the canvas, bows and crane off the Dodge and finally put that back in the garage.

For the full set of pictures, visit - https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2023/blyth.htm

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Dodge Working on the Railway - June 9th

The Dodge has already been put to work in the garden. On the 9th, it was put to work again. Part of the garden landscaping includes building a garden railway; a fullsize railway! It's only a small length as a garden feature, as there used to be a railway here in years gone by. The longest lengths of rail weigh close to 400 pounds and the railway was being built right at the bottom of the garden. There was no way I was going to be able to carry the rail there, but it would be light work for the Dodge.

rail_03.jpg

There were four rails to be moved. It took four and a half hours to rig them all on the crane, move them all to the build site and assemble the track. I need to order some ballast next. That's another delivery to the front of the house, so the Dodge will be working once more.

rail_08.jpg

• 1 month later...

June 21st & 26th

The Dodge was back on duty hauling ballast for the railway on the 21st and 26th. Five 850Kg bags were delivered and each bag was divided into three loads, all of which were transported to the back garden.

obsy493.jpg

Most were delivered to the railway build site, while the last two were dumped by the workshop.

obsy495.jpg

The ballasting was almost completed by June 28th.

obsy507.jpg

Early July

The Dodge has been busy in the garden again over the first part of July. The last of the ballast was added to the track and the plants cut back so they don't drop plant matter into the gravel. The track area looks much more tidy now.

obsy510.jpg

The Dodge was back to hauling bulk bags during the first week of July, after we had around 10 tons of top soil delivered onto the driveway at the front of the house. So far, around 30 bulk bags have been filled up, most of which were transported to the back garden for the new lawn area next to the railway.

obsy514.jpg

• Like 1

Fortunately June and the start of July have been quite dry, meaning the main lawn has been firm enough to drive the Dodge over again and again. Much of the bagged top soil was dumped either on the new lawn area, or on the existing lawn next to the new area, so I didn't have far to move it.

obsy520.jpg

I've lost count of the number of bags of soil that I've spread out to flatten the area, but finally on the 11th of July, the new lawn was finally seeded. There's still a lot more work for the Dodge to do as there's still more soil to be moved from the driveway, to build up the earth embankment to the right of the railway. That bank will eventually be covered in plants and wild flowers, but they probably won't be planted until early next year.

obsy524.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A huge update this time following five days at the Beamish museum "Dig for Victory" show.

Beamish "Dig for Victory" Set Up - August 28th~30th

We began our "Dig for Victory" preparations on the evening of Bank Holiday Monday, heading over to Beamish in the car to set up the tents. Last year, we ended up finishing the camp in the dark. With the tents up on Monday, we only needed to add the bedding and cooking gear. So while Lynne was working on Tuesday, I packed the Jeep and Dodge ready to go, shortly after 5pm.

beamish_1_01.jpg

The weather forecast wasn't great for the next few days, but with a new canvas over the centre cooking area, we were hopeful we'd be water proof.

beamish_1_04.jpg

Wednesday wasn't a proper show day and no vehicle movements were allowed, so the camp was purely a static display. The panorama below shows our camp, with five of the group vehicles on show out of the seven that were brought out for the event. Derek hadn't arrived when this picture was taken and Chris was only there for Friday and Saturday with his Dodge. Neil's Jeep is at the far left, with Paul's and Andy's Jeeps next. My two vehicles are on the right.

beamish_1_05.jpg

• Like 1

Wednesday was a relaxing day for chatting and having a look around. Here's a few more pictures of our vehicles and camp. The high shots aren't from a drone, but simply a camera tripod held up at arms length.

beamish_1_07.jpg

beamish_1_08.jpg

Our field shower made another appearance this year. Each time it has been out, it has had slight revisions and improvements. This year, a smaller water container allowed it to heat up much faster.

beamish_1_10.jpg

A few other groups also arrived early for the show and we present on Wednesday. That evening, a low loader turned up and left a while later carrying an 0-4-0 tank engine that has been on loan to the museum over the summer.

beamish_1_12.jpg

Each evening, we gathered around the wood burner to stay warm, have a drink and share war stories.

beamish_1_13.jpg

Beamish "Dig for Victory" Day 1 - Thursday August 31st

Thursday morning began with a briefing at 10am, followed by the first convoy of the event, to familiarise newcomers with the route around the site. Lynne took the Jeep while I drove the Dodge.

beamish_2_02.jpg

After entering the 1913 town from the show field, we turned right around the site road. We follow the road up a long slow climb to near the 1940s farm, where there is a steep drop down into the pit village and colliery yard.

beamish_2_04.jpg

There is the space to get the convoy turned around here for a climb back up the pit village bank, back onto the main site road. This continues a gentle climb to the main entrance, then a slightly steeper descent to the entrance to the 1800s era part of the museum. From there was a long gentle climb again past the 1950s welfare hall and town, leading back into the 1913 town and back down into the show field.

Rather than going back to the show field after the first lap, four of our gang continued around the circuit and dropped back down to the colliery again. There was a location near the colliery building, on a walking route between the pit village and 1800s area, where we could park up and have a good number of public walk by.

beamish_2_05.jpg

beamish_2_06.jpg

After staying there for a while, we moved on to "Coffee Corner" a small parking area on the edge of town near the bakery and not far from the cafe. This was a good spot for watching other vehicles convoy by.

beamish_2_09.jpg

After coffee corner, it was back to camp for a look around some of the other vehicles and displays. There are two show fields, with these vehicles being parked up in the same field as our camp. All of the diorama displays were located in the other field, along with some of the larger vehicles. These two halftracks, Jeep and Command Car were in our field.

beamish_2_13.jpg

The afternoon convoy was at 3pm and took in the full route around the site, including the pit village. The exit from the steep bank out of the site was a really tight turn. Jeeps could manage the turn, but anything larger had to go the wrong way around the circuit a for about 150 yards. That took them to the bus and tram depot, where there was a hardstanding big enough for the largest vehicles to swing around and join onto the back of the Jeep convoy.

beamish_2_17.jpg

Soon after the show finished, we went back out for a photoshoot down at the pit village. It was a squeeze down one of the back lanes for the Dodge, so we sent a scout on foot to check the clearance and turning room at the end.

beamish_2_24.jpg

After that, we grabbed some pictures in the colliery yard before moving on to the edge of the 1950s town, which is still under construction. In this area, one street has been completed, while a cinema is being built over the road.

beamish_2_28.jpg

A short drive further on brought us into the 1913 town, which was one of the first parts of the museum to be built back in the 1970s. From there, it was back to camp for the evening.

beamish_2_31.jpg

• Like 2

Beamish "Dig for Victory" Day 2 - Friday September 1st

After the morning convoy, we headed back to the colliery for a while. It was overcast and warm, but the rain that was forecast didn't appear.

beamish_3_02.jpg

Later in the morning, Lynne was exploring on foot, so I took the Dodge out again, meeting up with Chris and Andy at the colliery yard. It wasn't long before several more vehicles turned up, including a huge Corbitt wrecker, which is I believe one of only three surviving and the only one outside of the USA. It was starting to look like a car park, so I moved on again and headed back to camp for lunch.

beamish_3_08.jpg

Lynne and I were back out in the afternoon, grabbing a few photos on the long climb towards the farm, with the 1913 town in the distance.

beamish_3_10.jpg

From there, it was down to the colliery again, meeting up with Paul and Laura. It wasn't long before two of the halftracks turned up. This year, there was a record four halftracks at the show, but I never saw them all parked up together.

beamish_3_12.jpg

• Like 1

As well as the main large convoys at noon and 3pm, there were several smaller convoys across each day. Sometimes this was a few Jeeps, others it was perhaps a dozen vehicles.

beamish_3_13.jpg

Getting a chance to park up in town was very much good luck. With so many vehicles at the show, time in town was limited to 20 minutes to give everyone a chance for photos, but you never knew whether there was space until rounding the last corner onto the main street.

beamish_3_18.jpg

Later in the afternoon, we began to look around the dioramas in the second show field, but part way through, were invited on a halftrack ride, so left the rest for another time.

beamish_3_22.jpg

The Corbitt wrecker was also on this convoy and when we stopped in town, I got chatting with the driver, as I'd noticed that it was marked up in 100th Bombardment Group markings, the same as all of my vehicles. It was near the end of the day, so I asked him if he could park in the middle of the field, so I could get my vehicles over for some pictures together.

beamish_3_30.jpg

When a Corbitt and Dodge get friendly, they make a baby Jeep! It really is a monster, with the tyres being taller than the Dodge fenders. I think my daughter needed oxygen after climbing into the cab.

beamish_3_33.jpg

Our group went back out for a ride around that evening. Neil had some running problems and discovered a small plug in the carburettor was missing. Fortunately Paul had a carb kit with him, having bought it for just one screw! The day ended around the fire again.

beamish_3_39.jpg

• Like 1

Beamish "Dig for Victory" Day 3 - Saturday September 2nd

Despite starting out cloudy, it was hot by 9am on Saturday. We began as usual, with a convoy around the site, doing one complete lap before dropping down to the colliery yard. Here's six of the seven of our vehicles that attended the show. It would have been nice to have more, but there are practical limits.

beamish_4_02.jpg

For a change of display, I opened the Jeep hood and set the Dodge crane over the top of the Jeep engine. I then got a crate and tool roll out as if I was starting an engine change. There were a couple of other Dodges near by and Paul was there with his Jeep.

beamish_4_07.jpg

It wasn't too long before a convoy of heavy stuff came down and the yard began to fill up. Soon after that, Andy turned up. Andy only got his Jeep in October last year, so this was his first Beamish in his own Jeep. For the previous two years, he's driven my Jeep around when Lynne was exploring elsewhere.

beamish_4_16.jpg

After that, it was off to coffee corner for morning snacks and to watch more convoys go by.

beamish_4_17.jpg

Back to camp for a late lunch, in time to see Derek try his barber skills on Andy with some mechanical hair clippers. A member of the public even volunteered to have his hair cut!

beamish_4_25.jpg

It was then time for the main afternoon convoy. It can be seen here on the gentle climb up to the 1940s farm junction and the drop down to the pit village.

beamish_4_27.jpg

After we completed the convoy, we drove out of the Beamish staff gate and up the public road to the 1940s farm. Neil and Derek were already there. There is an internal road to the farm, but it is quite steep and only suitable for Jeeps. Using the main road was a safer drive, avoiding all the public walking up the internal farm road. A brass band was playing in the main barn with a small dance floor and seating.

beamish_4_29.jpg

After the farm visit, we returned to the colliery and I did a small photoshoot with my daughter and the Dodge.

beamish_4_39.jpg

On Saturday evening, the museum provided a meal for all the re-enactors and vehicle owners and opened up the Sun Inn pub for everyone. After the meal, many gathered at the seating around the band stand.

beamish_4_41.jpg

During public hours, re-enactors and vehicle owners aren't allowed to drink or enter the pub.

beamish_4_42.jpg

beamish_4_43.jpg

This was our last evening around the log burner, as we'd all be packing up on Sunday evening.

beamish_4_44.jpg

• Like 1

Beamish "Dig for Victory" Day 4 - Sunday September 3rd

The Moon was setting over my camp as we began the last day at Beamish.

beamish_5_01.jpg

We set off for the colliery, wanting to get the most out of the day before we had to start packing up the camp. By this time, we'd already packed much of the bedding into the Jeep trailer out of the way, before it got too hot.

beamish_5_03.jpg

We spent some time there, with others from our group coming and going, along with other vehicles.

beamish_5_14.jpg

By late morning, we'd moved on to coffee corner. Last year, we had coffee corner to ourselves, but this year, other vehicle owners have caught on to its strategic position near the bakery, cafe and toilets. A few times, we had to drive on by because the spot was occupied.

beamish_5_18.jpg

My daughter was in a different dress on Sunday, so we took a few more photos here. On Saturday, I missed out on a morning sausage roll from the bakery, as they'd sold out, but on Sunday, we managed to get some still hot from the oven.

beamish_5_21.jpg

By early afternoon, we were back at camp for some more photos and to pack a few more thngs. We couldn't bring the car and flatbed trailer in to the show field until after 4pm, so we weren't in a major hurry to drop the tents.

beamish_5_28.jpg

Lynne and my daughter then went to have a look at the 1940s and 1950s farm and I finished off my look around the dioramas and re-enactor displays. This year, there were displays spread all over the second show field and it must have been the largest show yet.

beamish_5_36.jpg

beamish_5_41.jpg

I took the Dodge out with a friend for another lap later in the afternoon, stopping at the colliery and coffee corner for a while. Derek, Andy and Lynne joined me with the Jeeps for one last trip around the site late in the afternoon, before we finished packing up. In the background is the new 1950s town. One street is complete and the framework of the cinema can be seen behind the terraces.

beamish_5_45.jpg

We finally had everything packed up and were ready to roll by 7:30pm, the last of the "Hedgehog Heroes" off the site.

beamish_5_49.jpg

We arrived home at 8:10pm as the sun was setting, but it was another couple of hours before everything was unloaded and the vehicles and trailers were away. We were all very tired, but it had been a great five days.

beamish_5_50.jpg

beamish_5_51.jpg

Many more pictures can be found on my vehicle event gallery pages.....

Set Up
https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2023/beamish_1.htm

Thursday
https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2023/beamish_2.htm

Friday
https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2023/beamish_3.htm

Saturday
https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2023/beamish_4.htm

Sunday
https://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2023/beamish_5.htm

Our next event is the Tanfield Railway 1940s show in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tanfield Railway 1940s Weekend - September 23rd/24th

We went to Tanfield in the normal car on Friday morning to get the tent set up. It was forecast for heavy rain in the late afternoon. Sure enough, not long after we set off in the Dodge and Jeep, the rain started hammering down. With the sleeping bags in the top of the trailer, I was hoping the canvas was still waterproof! When we got there, everything was thrown through the tent door as fast as possible.

tanfield_03.jpg

Saturday started with a little drizzle, but it got out dry with some bright spells across the day. The locos were already steamed up by breakfast and starting to assemble the trains for the day. Two locos were running for the weekend; Sir Cecil Cochrane and Horden.

tanfield_05.jpg

There weren't too many vehicles and displays this year. I think the weather forecast and another clashing '40s event reduced numbers attending. The Field Kitchen and NAAFI were there, along with the "Hand Me Down Gang", Home Guard and a couple of other groups with a Jeeps and weapons on show.

tanfield_12.jpg

I set up the Jeep and Dodge with the Jeep undergoing maintenance under the Dodge crane, with tools set out on make shift tables made from ammo and ration crate boxes.

tanfield_13.jpg

Our display peaked at five vehicles on Saturday. Late in the day, three of us made the three mile trip down the road to East Tanfield Station for coffee.

tanfield_19.jpg

Last year, there were a number of normal cars along the fence, but it was mostly empty this year, allowing me to get some pictures of the Jeep with 0-6-0 tank "Horden" along side.

tanfield_23.jpg

Saturday night was blowing itself inside out, with gales of 40+mph forecast. I didn't sleep much due to the noise of the wind and tent rattling.

tanfield_32.jpg

Sunday was dry until early afternoon, so we were able to get the tent down dry. Most of the camping gear was packed into the trailer, so we didn't need to dismantle the display until later in the afternoon.

A band was playing in the carriage shed, while singers performed at Andrews House and East Tanfield stations.

tanfield_26.jpg

As the weather front got closer, the crates were packed in the Dodge and the tent into the back of the Jeep.

• Like 1