How many still exist

RecyMech

A little artifact I bought back in 73 in the WRVS shop, Roundhouse, Hohne.

It's actually an Irish linen tea towel thats been folded up & stored away since the day it was bought. Recently had it framed & I wondered how many of the regiments depicted still exist.

I know there are some cracking historians on here.

Howard.towel-009.jpg

towel-009.jpg

What a lovely item - I wonder how many survive in such good condition?!

I think the answer to your question is:

Queen's Dragoon Guards

Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

9th / 12th Lancers

1 & 2 Royal Tank Regiment

With the Challnger fleet being mothballed, how many of the current Cavalry / RAC regiments will survive?

Bazz,

Many thanks for the update on the RAC as it is today. Whilst arguably we live in safer times (not withstanding the wider terrorist threat) now that the former USSR is no more, it is very sad to see it all fits on one page now. Times change eh ?

Personally I'd prefer to see my tax money spent on keeping a few regiments alive rather than some of the daft projects British governments (of both colours) toss money at. Nuff said.

As for the towel, yeah it survived pretty well. No moth holes, just a couple of dirty marks along where it was folded for 37 years. I was afraid to wash it though....just in case.

I have another with every regimental cap badge of the British Army of the day (73) printed on it at life size. Just black & white though & not as impressive as the RAC one. As a matter of scale....the RAC one is 36" tall.

Thanks again.

H