Arm of Service markings

ferret1958uk

Question

Does anyone know where I can find information on the Arm of Service markings and the numbers that sometimes got put on them?

For instance my own Land Rover has an arm of service marking for the Royal Artillery. During its life it has had the number 13 and the number 15 on this marking. These numbers were allocated in blocks and I gather represent the type of Regiment within the RA (ie. Heavy, or AA etc).

I want to know what 13 and 15 may have represented between 1964 and 1975?

5 answers to this question

Does anyone know where I can find information on the Arm of Service markings and the numbers that sometimes got put on them?

For instance my own Land Rover has an arm of service marking for the Royal Artillery. During its life it has had the number 13 and the number 15 on this marking. These numbers were allocated in blocks and I gather represent the type of Regiment within the RA (ie. Heavy, or AA etc).

I want to know what 13 and 15 may have represented between 1964 and 1975?

13 was a field (light in some cases) regiment in a brigade.

18 Field Regt RA had a 66 (1 Division) whilst in Munsterlager (1963-66) and a 13 when it became a Light Regt with 48 (Gurkha Infrantry) Brigade in Hong Kong.

Thank you for the replies.

I browsed through the documents that Clive has posted and the one from 1962 states that 13 would be CS Regt RA whilst 14 and 15 are Alternative RA (to be sub-alloted by theatres and commands to individual units to avoid confusion between adjacent units). Silly question perhaps, but can it be confirmed that CS is Close Support?

The document posted for 1975 does not have attachment 'A' attached so I can't see if the numbering altered at all.

I need to track down the windscreen articles and take a look at them. At least I know they exist!