Smoke Grenade Launchers

I phoned my local Police Firearms Licensing office and asked about the chances of getting a Section 5 Firearms Certificate for the smoke grenade dischargers that were kindly left on our vehicle (!)

I said we wanted to give demonstrations of a smoke screen. The chap had to refer to someone not in the office, but when he came back to me he said, roughly, following an ACPO Firearms and Explosives Working Group, it had been decided that ,considering what they had been designed and used for

('Last ditch' cover to try to extricate onesself from hostile situations etc.)

Smoke Grenade Dischargers on civilian owned, Ex military vehicles should be regarded as 'pyrotechnic launchers' and as such weren't looked at as coming under firearms legislation.

I've looked on the ACPO website, but can't find anything, BUT on an ACPO/BASC glossary of definitions of prohibited weapons, referred to, by the chap I spoke to, I found 5 (1) (a e) reference to pyrotechnics that appears to cover these 'devices'.

I will keep digging, and keep you posted.

Chas.

Chas -

I've found a copy of "Firearms Law - Guidance to the Police" published by the Stationery Office in 2002. In Chapter 3, Definitions of Prohibited Weapons, it says:

vi) any rocket launcher, or any mortar, for

projecting a stabilised missile, other than

a launcher or mortar designed for linethrowing

or pyrotechnic purposes or as

signalling apparatus (section 5(1)(ae));

I think therefore that the 5(1)(ae) is a reference to the Firearms Act itself.

Andy

The 'link' my contact in the Licensing Office was referring to appears to be on the BASC

site, " The ACPO and BASC Guide To The Violent Crime Reduction Act, 2006"

p36, 5(1)(ae)

I put 'Glossary of Terms' in the search box, it came out 'Layout 1 . . .

He definately said " 5 (1)(ae) and it does say except for "launching pyrotechnics".

There must be a difinitive document somewhere, I just haven't found it yet.

Chas.